I dreamed I was missing

Started by Roh Geulimja, Aug 02, 2017, 02:10 PM

• I want to go back to believing in everything
  • Bishop
  • 111 posts
  • Shadow
  • 5'5"
Shelf after shelf, books lined the walls. Dusty old tomes in the back, historical reference books, and books on the occult--that was what Shadow currently perused as he slowly stepped through the stacks. These books were not to be checked out, unfortunately, so it meant that Shadow had to stay in the building with the books to look for the things he wanted to know.

Research was a big part of his work as an animator. It was an often forgotten part of the job. The people who watched his animations and impatiently demanded "Moar, moar!" had no idea just how meticulous Shadow was about his work. Every line spoken by his characters had to be thoroughly researched and since his characters were entrenched in the occult, that meant he needed to know more about creatures of the night.

Hazleton had a sort of dark atmosphere in and of itself, so even this library lent itself to the vibe of his work. He suspected that the vibe came from his upbringing, his life, and his environment, though. It certainly didn't come out of nowhere. He'd always wanted to write about the dark side of humanity.

A book entitled Creatures of the Night caught his eye. It was an enormous book, a rusty red color with gilded words. Shadow slid it out from the shelf, noting that it wasn't as dusty as some of the books in the area. Interesting. Shadow turned the book over in his hands. The back offered no explanations. Hefting the heavy book against one arm, he opened it and idly paged through it.

Satisfied that it seemed to have the kind of information he sought, Shadow brought the book over to one of the smaller tables in the library. It was a cushioned booth inside an alcove. It wasn't until he sat on the lap of the first occupant that he realized there was another occupant.

Quickly, Shadow shot up. The book jerked out of his hand.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled his apology with a lowered head.

Kuro

Ah the library, a nice quiet place she could study up on... what ever she so pleased. Normally, although she was only a shifter with no magic otherwise, Kuro enjoyed looking at some of the books on supernatural placed upon the shelves. Some of them were a bit silly, but oh well. Enough of them kept her entertained. She enjoyed the reading. They had many on witchcraft, and sometimes she wished there was at least a little witch blood in her.

Not like she really needed magic, but imagine how much more she could do with her staff if she could, say, cast a spell to shift the wind? Or something along those lines. Maybe she'd end up a terrible witch with no control.

The things she'd never know but wondered. Kuro smiled to herself.

Finding herself a book and a nice place to sit, Kuro focused on her reading for a bit. She went uninterrupted, until someone chose to come over and disturb that focus.

"Oh!" Startled, Kuro exclaimed (to the disdain of a librarian that glared daggers at the both of them). Covering her mouth and looking apologetic, she turned her attention to the younger looking guy who'd, well, sat on her. At first her expression was chastising, then it softened and she sighed. No use letting her temper out. Smiling, she leaned over and picked up the book he dropped, holding it out to him. "That's... alright." It certainly looked like he didn't mean it. "Watch where you're sitting next time."

Then she glanced at the book he'd dropped. "Interesting looking book; you study these things?" Kuro asked.

• Bishop
  • 111 posts
  • Shadow
  • 5'5"
"Yes..." He bowed his head, then his whole body followed suit out of habit. He couldn't help it; he hadn't meant to sit directly on a stranger and the whole encounter was terribly awkward. She looked as if she were sorry, too, somehow--although she did nothing wrong. All she had done was sit in a secluded area of the library--she didn't invite a stranger to sit on her lap, jump up, and throw his book, after all.

Quickly, he grabbed the book that had struck the ground, fully aware that the librarian nearby was glowering at the pair of them. Mostly him, he was sure. He checked the book over to make sure it was okay--it was sort of old and if it ended up with a deformed spine it was going to be all his fault. He ran his hand nervously over it before peering at the woman for two seconds and then looking back down at the book.

Oh.

Caught.

He could feel the heat creeping up his neck.

"It's for a... project."

Kuro

Not the type to be too angry over some little mistake, Kuro tried not to look upset. She really wasn't, more amused than anything at how awkward but somehow humorous a situation this was. Maybe if he didn't look so guilty about it, she wouldn't have found it funny. In that case, she might have backhanded him.

With the book.

She took her hand back as he snatched it, setting both her hands in her lap. Thankfully, that librarian didn't come over and bark at them-- though they did turn to continue what they were doing while seemingly grumbling something. Probably about stupid loud people or something along those lines, if she had to guess.

Attempting a comforting smile, Kuro looked at the book instead of the guy. Maybe if she wasn't staring at him, his what looked like embarrassment might fade somewhat.

"Oh? Do you write or is it for some kind of paper?"

Laughing quietly, she shot a glance at the librarian to make sure she wasn't being loud, continuing, "I'm sorry, I'm pretty curious about this kind of stuff myself, s I had to ask."

• Bishop
  • 111 posts
  • Shadow
  • 5'5"
A paper on supernatural creatures? He glanced up at her in question, wondering if she was teasing him or if it was an honest question. Considering her follow up explanation, it seemed to be a question of genuine curiosity. So he shook his head, mumbling the word no as he did so. No, he was not writing a paper on it. He wasn't exactly a college student, either, but he didn't want to explain all that to her. The shortest explanations were always the speediest.

"I draw a web comic," he said, adding for good measure, "Online."

Of course a web comic by its very virtue was online but he wasn't sure she read them. She didn't look like the web comic reading type, anyway. But then, he probably didn't look like the web comic creating type either.

Kuro

Maybe her curiosity was why people sometimes felt uncomfortable with her, because she would make conversation with random strangers because of it. People didn't necessarily expect something that likely is a quick encounter to turn into a conversation. They expect to go their separate ways immediately.

But Kuro liked to converse!

Hm, not a paper? "Oh! I'm envious, I can't draw at all." she smiled good naturedly.

"What's it about, if you don't mind my asking?" Realizing maybe he had something to do and was trying to read his book then be on his way, Kuro sat back. "Oh, wait, am I interrupting you when you're in a hurry?" she asked for safe measure.

• Bishop
  • 111 posts
  • Shadow
  • 5'5"
"Hn."

Most people said that when they learned that he knew how to draw. There were the typical comments about how they could barely draw a stick figure or that they wished they had the talent. There were also the people who wanted to take his sketchbook and spy on his artwork--a huge no-no. And the worst was when he happened to be drawing somewhere publicly and everybody and their mother decided it was time to watch him or make comments the entire time he was trying to work.

This was why he chose to work on a web comic. Out of sight. While he still got the usual questions and demands, he had a much easier time dealing with it all behind a computer screen and not having to deal with it face to face.

But in this case, he'd brought up the web comic so he didn't fault the woman at all for asking about it.

"Supernatural creatures living together in a big city," he said. Nothing too special or different from other ideas of the same caliber. "It's called Beyond The Pale."

Kuro

She suddenly wondered how many times he may have heard comments like this. Art wasn't her thing, but she did know artists. They probably heard it a lot. Though, if it were online would the statement seem less annoying, if it was at all? Hm. She wouldn't ask him all these questions, as he appeared quite shy and might feel bombarded if she talked too much.

Kuro being nosy was probably enough.

Smiling, Kuro quirked a brow, allowing herself one comment. "Do you get statements like that a lot? It must be annoying." she chuckled.

The idea, although simple sounding, intrigued her. "Sounds interesting, almost reminds me of this town... if you believe all the rumors about magic going around. I might look it up, if you don't mind some old lady reading your comic." He didn't look that much younger than her, but for the sake of the joke. Maybe Kuro was an old lady, throwing out stupid jokes and whatnot.

"Does it take a long time to finish drawing chapters?" She knew some people were very detailed while others were for simplicity. No judgement either way. She was one of those people who never exited their 'nerdy' younger stage and continued to like comics and video games even though she was now in her thirties.

• Bishop
  • 111 posts
  • Shadow
  • 5'5"
He slid his gaze towards her without verbally responding. Yeah, it could definitely be annoying and he definitely got comments like that all the time, but since she asked him, he got the feeling she realized it without him having to say it. Probably a perceptive woman. It didn't startle him. There were people like that in Hazleton. There were even some who told the future or claimed to know things or that they could read minds--although he sincerely hoped this woman was not one of the mind reading types.

"I don't," he said. He didn't mind older women reading his comic. If he didn't want to reach a wider audience, he wouldn't have published it. Although he had to admit, he was somewhat embarrassed and a little intimidated by the sheer popularity of the comic. Now it was on sites like Tumblr and people posted images and fan art of it, taking what he had created and... doing whatever they wanted with it. Now that annoyed him more than any question about what he was drawing or if somebody could see his sketchbook.

Not that he'd ever admitted it aloud or in words ever. It just... grated at him.

He didn't want to be That Guy, though.

"It depends," he said finally. Chapters that required more research would take longer to create but... "Everything's already planned out, but some things get tweaked during the creation when I learn... new things."

Kuro

Yeah, without saying anything the guy gave her a response. At least Kuro noticed before she ended up really getting on his nerves by continuing to gush over her envy toward artists. If she practiced, she could probably become skilled... but that wasn't her interest. Looking at others' artwork was more appealing to her. Comics, paintings and stuff from that one store in town, anything. She wouldn't deny being a hoarder and having a few paintings hung around her place and also comics on her bookshelf.

Eh-hum.

Well that was good. Kuro knew some people definitely judged her for reading web comics or comic books at her age. She would do what she pleased though. Not like anyone was hurt by it. At least not everyone had a bone to pick with her. Kuro smiled at him. "Good then, you might get a new fan." she said it kind of humorously, but it wasn't unlikely. She'd keep reading it if she liked it. Who knew?

Nodding slowly, she could see what he meant. "Hmm, that makes sense." Kuro responded thoughtfully. "Or as much sense as it could to me."

"What kind of information can you learn from this book then?" she pointed at the book while asking, though the first 'creature of the night' she could think of was... a vampire? Being a shifter herself, Kuro knew it was more complicated than that. But, he didn't need to know that.

"Ah, call me Kuro, by the way." she added and stuck her hand out to shake his hand. Since she kept talking to him (and he didn't look entirely ready to retreat at first chance as if she blocked the exit), Koro decided why not introduce herself. The worst he could do was reject her hand.

• Bishop
  • 111 posts
  • Shadow
  • 5'5"
It wouldn't surprise him if she ended up a fan; he seemed to garner more attention from females than he did from other males for whatever reason. Girls, women--his character struck more of a chord with them. Although, again... They did that irritating thing where they "shipped" his characters together, even when they were bitter enemies. Shadow didn't understand it and he felt as if his work was being warped into something he never intended.

He couldn't tell what kind of fan this woman might be, though.

Shadow's gaze fell to the dark book he had been looking through. His heart stopped for a moment but he swallowed. She didn't have to know that part of this research for the character had to do with things he'd read online about them. Shadow had always been... quirky. There had always been strange... needs. But when he read about incubi, he couldn't help feeling a connection.

They weren't real. At least, he didn't think they were.

But.

If they were... Shadow didn't want to talk about it with her. It was too personal and he didn't know her.

"Mythology," was his short answer. The book was full of myths and lore that he could use but it was also an older book and it was more oriented to their current location. History, of this town's stories. His fingers ran thoughtfully over the spine. Kuro. A... strange name. But when she heard his, she would find this meeting perhaps strange.

"I'm called Shadow," he said wryly.

Kuro

Being a shifter and all, Kuro wondered whether her kind were in that book. They were bound to be, right? Shifters could probably be considered 'creatures of the night' too. Maybe it focused on a select few, like the popular, more well known ones. If she asked too much detail, he might find it suspicious or peculiar. Normally, she could sense other shifters, but he didn't smell like any animal. Who knew if he could be a hunter? Caution was good in this town. So, be careful she would continue to be. Anyway. She looked at the book again.

Hm, Kuro kind of wanted to peek at that book herself now.

"Oh~." she nodded her head in interest, figuring as much... though he gave a very simple and vague answer so it left a lot of options. Mythology was pretty broad a subject. "Like witches, werewolves... and all those other creatures? Maybe the town is getting to me, those are the first things I think of." she laughed softly.

"Nice to meet you, Shadow." Smiling, Kuro cocked her head. "We call ourselves some neat names don't we?" It wasn't insulting in any way, and said with a perfectly pleasant tone. She thought Shadow was a cool name! Though, from the lady calling herself Kuro, maybe that just made her seem even weirder.

• Bishop
  • 111 posts
  • Shadow
  • 5'5"
"I've already studied them for previous characters. My next character is a succubus."

Before studying up on it, Shadow was under the typical assumption that succubi were a women-only type of mythical creature. Like how he heard sirens were. Not so, it seemed. There were male ones, too. They were called incubi. And everything he read made him feel curiously... right. Not that he wanted it to line up with his own life but it surely answered certain questions. Why he was so sickly, why he felt better when he gave in and went to a club.

"It's not just a name I call myself," he said. "It's the English translation of my real name. I suppose you can say my parents had an interesting sense of humor."

Kuro

"Oh, I don't think I've seen many stories with succubi." She was referring to comics and books of that nature, since there were certainly books talking about succubi and incubi as well. "I'm certain your comic will be a good read. Have you read much on them yet?" Kuro looked intrigued, leaning one elbow on the table as she spoke to Shadow.

Realizing she kept talking to him while he was standing there next to her, Kuro leaned back in her seat again. "That's right, I never bothered to ask, but since we're talking, would you like to sit down," she paused and smiled a little teasingly, "other than on my lap?"

"Hm?" Her brows raised and she said, "Ah, I'm sorry, I was assuming. Well, it's probably more unique that way, no?"

• Bishop
  • 111 posts
  • Shadow
  • 5'5"
"A little," he said, noncommittally. He'd read enough but he was digging more into it for personal reasons at this point. He toyed with the edge of the book he held. The woman--Kuro--seemed awfully interested in his comic. Surprising, since she didn't look like much of a comic reader. Not that comic readers had a look about them but... well. He was writing a comic to bend expectations so he could hardly marvel at the fact that she bended expectations herself.

He eyed her lap for a second, tempted. Not to sit on her lap! He turned his gaze away. Should he sit and talk? He didn't have a lot to say but she seemed to have a load of questions. He couldn't decide if he should apply what he learned to his comic. Finally, after a long moment, he took a seat gingerly across her.

"They're certainly... unique."

Cbox

Affiliates

RPG Rating 3 3 3 RPG-D