Is it gonna be the year that kills me?

Started by Savas Oakley, Dec 11, 2018, 02:20 PM

• What even is a life savings?
  • King
  • 99 posts
  • Aggressive Coyote
  • 5'10"
His sisters were out there somewhere and he had to find them. They had scattered after the massacre and there was no proof they hadn't been murdered afterward by that white wolf. But Savas had a friend helping him with that. Still, multiple eyes on multiple tasks were better. Savas couldn't do it alone, as much as he wanted to tough it out on his own.

So he decided it was time to call in the big guns. Or rather... his old friend the owl shifter. Athen knew all about the massacre and he'd been a loyal friend and companion while Savas grieved but this was different. Now his sisters had scattered to parts unknown and that bothered Savas. Not for the first time, he wished he had a damned cell phone like the humans did but since he didn't, he had to resort to hunting his friend down in person.

It wasn't much of a surprise when he found him in the forest where they used to live, in his hand what looked to be a camera. Athen had always been more connected to his human side than Savas had. These days, Savas had to connect to that side more closely just to find out what happened. A human had different avenues to use their investigative skills than a coyote.

Savas was currently in human form, casually clothed in a flannel shirt, jeans, and a pair of hiking boots. For a long moment, he was content enough to watch Athens with his camera. Then he finally stepped out of the shadows of the trees and started forward. He was pretty sure that Athen knew he had been there the whole time. Savas would have known.

"Been looking for you."

? ?

Athen Temple

Natura has a strange way of drawing you in. Athen wasn't a fan. He blamed it on being a shifter. But as a photographer, there was a charm that yearned to be captured. Ever since moving to Hazelton, Athen saw something different about this place. The leaves and grass sparkled like emeralds. The trees rose up like giants of the earth. The lakes were clear as glass. It was like magic was in the air. There probably was. Not that it mattered as long as Athen got his shot.

In a world driven by technology, there was a surprisingly fertile market for nature photography. That's why Athen was in the woods. Or maybe it was a habit. He'd been here many times. Sometimes to take pictures. Other times to experience a different kind of nature. Through the viewfinder, Athen traced the tree line. He took a deep breath to steady his hand. Click. Moment captured. He didn't even let on he knew he was being watched.

Athen was pretty sure he knew who the silent observer was. He wasn't interesting enough to draw unwanted attention. Besides, in the woods, the options are limited. He'd wait and let Savas approach. He was tempted to pull a bit of an Exorcist but the pain doesn't make it as fun as it could be. On top of that, it was not the right time.

Savas had gone through more than any person should. Athen tried to be there for him. As a friend. He knew that anything more was not in the cards for them. But it's OK. That's life. And he still cared about Savas.

Athen turned towards the voice, looking at Savas through the viewfinder. He smiled from behind the camera at the man. "Well, you found me." It was easier like this. Ever since his family's deaths, there was something missing in Savas' eyes. Not that it didn't make sense. It's just... it hurt to look at.

"Did you miss my company?" Athen feigned normalcy, tucking away the pity and sadness he felt for Savas.

• King
  • 99 posts
  • Aggressive Coyote
  • 5'10"
"You wish."

But he said it with a quick, feral grin that meant he did miss his friend's company. Savas missed a lot, lately. There was a giant hole in his heart where his family used to be. For him, family meant everything. Sure, they had issues like any family did. Savas used to argue with his sisters constantly but now they were missing and all he could think was they had run straight into the arms of enemies. Humans, probably. They were both way too curious and it was going to get them hunted and killed, just like their parents.

And their parents weren't running headlong into enemy arms.

If his sisters found humans and they started liking them... Savas nearly growled aloud just thinking about it. His eyes narrowed briefly but that was all he showed of his innermost thoughts. A moment later, he was straightening up and moving toward Athen. Their friendship was a bit unorthodox but not any more so than Savas' recent friendship with a rabbit shifter.

"Did you catch anything interesting on that thing?" Savas asked curiously, looking closely at the camera now. Maybe it saw something he hadn't.

Athen Temple

Athen's experience with shifters was extensive but limited at the same time. The ones that he had met were city folk, shifters who had escaped from nature. The reasons varied but all of them distanced themselves from the animalistic nature hidden inside.

Savas was the opposite. Athen's eyes saw a human. But his instincts told him of something primal coming his way. Yet Athen knew better. There was very much a human there even if Savas tried to ignore it. And with him, it wasn't a good idea to point it out. So Athen didn't. All shifters are different, and he can appreciate... sometimes from a distance but still.

Athen lowered his camera, his head tilting slightly to the side. "A couple of beavers making a dam. A deer all by his lonesome. The usual suspects," he replied. "Oh, and a just now, a coyote. Couldn't get a picture – too wily." Yes, it was a bad pun but Athen couldn't resist.

Athen took the camera off his neck and passed it to Savas. "Take a look, if you want." He didn't trust many people with his equipment. It wasn't just about this being his livelihood. Through the camera, Athen had access to another world. A more picturesque peaceful place. He was protective of this ideal. But Athen knew he could trust Savas.

"So," Athen drawled, looking over his friend, just to make sure he was fine. As fine as he could be, all things considered. "Any particular reason you were looking for me?"

• King
  • 99 posts
  • Aggressive Coyote
  • 5'10"
A raised brow. That coyote comment obviously was meant for him. Savas tilted his head slightly as he stepped closer. Wily, he heard that joke quite a bit. It took him some time to realize what it meant, though. Having grown up wild, television wasn't a staple for him. When he realized he was being compared to a cartoon character, he had been... less than enthused. Now he just took it in stride, with an eye roll here and there.

"All right. I will, then."

He moved toward Athen so he could take the camera from him and check over what he'd been looking at. Savas wasn't going to drop it or toss it; it took a lot to surprise him or take him by surprise so even if some jerk decided to come at him with a tickle attack, he'd keep a deathly hold on it.

While he flicked through images of wildlife, he glanced over at Athen. Of course he was going to ask. Savas even admitted to looking for him in particular.

"Lost my sisters," he said after a beat of silence that took him through three more images. This time he lowered the camera and whatever was left of his feral grin and his cheer were erased by the thought of what might have happened to the last of his family.

"They've gone missing. After the attack on the shifters in the area." He held the camera out to Athen to give it back. "Parents are gone. Confirmed. But no sign of the girls. I was hoping you could help find them."

Athen Temple

Athen's inner-owl came out as titled his head to the side. He enjoyed teasing Savas even if the reaction was small. It wasn't malicious. A bit of playful banter, that's all. It was a way of seeing past the walls the coyote shifter had built up. Athen couldn't blame him for that. It just meant that if anyone wanted to get to know Savas, they had to work for it.

Some artists enjoy watching their audience appreciate their work. Athen wasn't that kind of person. That's why he never went into the office to show his work. He sent them by email. He didn't mind watching Savas though. In a way, he had managed to get behind Athen's walls too. Not that was a surprise, all things considered.

But Athen didn't expect to hear the words that passed Savas' lips. He could sense the sadness in the man. He took back the camera. Athen didn't know how to react. A smile, even a comforting one, seemed wrong. It wasn't an animal habit so some shifters don't take to it too kindly. He could offer compassion. A willing ear.

Maybe right now, Athen was better off using his words. "I'm sorry."

Athen put the camera back around his neck. "I have some friends in Portland and Salem." He rummaged through his pockets to find his phone. The reception out here was not great but it would do. "I'll tell them to keep an eye out for your sisters. They'll spread the word around the shifter communities."

"I..." Athen hesitated to ask this but it was for the good of finding Savas' sisters. "I have the pictures that I took of you and your sisters. If I sent them out to my friends, it might be easier to find them. Only if you agree. Those pictures are not mine to share without your say-so."

• King
  • 99 posts
  • Aggressive Coyote
  • 5'10"
"Thanks," he said gruffly. The girls were all he had left and he had yet to find their bodies. It led him to wonder if something worse happened to them, if they were being tortured, abused, experimented on. Somebody had killed those shifters without mercy, his parents included. But the girls... If they were out there, he hoped for once it was because they had run off. It almost made him laugh, that thought. He spent so much of his life chasing down his sisters and telling them off for being so curious about humans and now here he was, at least hoping if they were out there, they were safe and had arrived there on their own volition.

"Oh," he said, then shrugged, "Yeah, why not?"

It didn't bother him if Athen chose to show off his photos, even if he and his sisters were the subjects. Nobody ever accused Savas of being shy, after all. And if it helped find the girls faster, all the better.

"There was so much blood, it was next to impossible to track them. The whole thing was a mess. But I saw who did it." He crossed his arms, bloodlust in his eyes as he watched Athen. Maybe he'd know something more about him. Maybe not, either way, he could help him locate the killer.

"He's a white werewolf. Feral, from the looks of it. But I don't give a fuck if he was in control or not. Bastard's going to get what's coming to him."

Athen Temple

Athen knew Savas' family from a distance. While his relationship with the coyote shifter was complicated, he was around to see how close the family was. The pictures were from that time. He never imagined he'd have to use them for this purpose. He had faith that the girls are OK. They are scrappy and smart. Adventures too.

"I'll send the pictures to them when I get home," Athen said, "I'll tell them to look out for any coyotes in the meantime." The owl's fingers tapped the screen. He was in a group chat with shifters he had met. Most of the time the topics were simple everyday things – recipes, job interviews, dates, that sort of stuff. It doesn't mean they aren't willing to help. The opposite really. The sense of community is strong. Young shifters out there on their own was going to mobilize the group for sure.

Athen kept listening as the messages came in. One by one, his friends agreed to help. A slight smile appeared on his face. As quickly it disappeared. Savas' words... they were an omen of bad things to come. Athen felt it his hollow bones.

He took a deep breath before he spoke. "Savas, I'm going to say this and I don't care if you hate me because of this. You need to think about your sisters right now. They only have you. If you keep thinking about revenge, you'll end up getting hurt or worse."

"Having said that," Athen said, "I'll see what I can find out about this white wolf. You're going to do it anyway, no matter what I say. If I can keep you from getting killed, it's better than nothing."

• King
  • 99 posts
  • Aggressive Coyote
  • 5'10"
"My sisters..."

He knew that Athen was right; he had to think about them. The problem was that the blood was turning his vision red. All he could see was the death that surrounded them and if his sisters were part of that... If something worse happened to them... He ground his teeth just thinking about it. Because there were fates worse than death. They could have been kidnapped, sold, used as slaves. There were a lot of uses for pretty girls, especially pretty girls with a supernatural ability. Even the thought made him want to be physically ill.

"I know I need to think about them," he said, but his hands were still forming fists. He couldn't help it. The thought of his sisters out there being hurt or abused... "They don't know better. They don't the world out there the way I do. And if I can take the white wolf down while I'm looking for them..."

He looked up at Athen. "You can't tell me you wouldn't."

Athen Temple

The hurt Athen understood. Even if it wasn't the same, he understood. But revenge was a stranger to the shifter. He didn't carry that negative emotion in his hollow bones. Then again, life had dealt him a good hand so far. More often than not he was the outside to the pain of others. It's not easy being a shifter in the modern world. Everything is being recorded. One wrong step will bring hunters to your doorstep.

"Honestly," Athen hesitated again. He was afraid to tell Savas what he actually thought about this. It wasn't like this before. Tact made the shifter cautious. He cared about the man but after breaking up he lost the right to be brutally honest. All this anger coming from the coyote wasn't making it easier. Even if it wasn't directed towards Athen it was powerful. But then again, staying silent wasn't going to help. "I don't know what I'd do."

"I know that I don't want you do get hurt or worse, die. This isn't just a wolf who went rogue. It's worse than that and you know it. If you keep going down this path..."

Savas is going to end up like that wolf. That's what Athen thought but he couldn't say it. Not now. Not ever.

"Savas, you know the animal inside us. You know what happens when we get blood on our hands. It will never come off." Athen paused, his voice had gotten louder than he had intended. "Listen, I'm not going to stop you. I just want to be sure that the Savas that comes out of all of this isn't a stranger I don't want to know."

• King
  • 99 posts
  • Aggressive Coyote
  • 5'10"
The long silence made Savas withdraw, moving back. Athen didn't understand. He wasn't agreeing with Savas; he wasn't saying that he would hunt down the bastard who killed his parents the way Savas planned to. While Athen didn't outwardly dissuade him or even disagree with him, his quiet and careful response, his noncommittal response only fueled the anger in Savas' heart. He frowned, his fists flexing.

It only seemed to get worse. Athen didn't agree. He didn't have to say the words to make it clear. He thought Savas was being a fool, that he was going to get himself killed. That was what he was getting at, wasn't it? Savas looked up at Athen, eyes darkening with his anger. It was misplaced but he couldn't help it; he wasn't looking for dissension. He was looking for... he didn't know what he was looking for. Help? Solace? A yes man?

"And just what would that Savas look like?" he asked. "That bastard killed them, Athen. Did you see all that blood? All those guts? Those were my parents and some asshole wolf took it upon himself to come and ravage them and half the goddamn shifter community out here. He deserves to be put down and I want to be the one doing it."

Athen Temple

Athen should have expected this. Grief has warped Savas and the beast inside him. Objectively, it made sense. But what the fuck as objectivity to do with it when you care about someone? Maybe at one time, Athen would have gone along with all of this. Followed Savas on his journey of vengeance and anger. The sad thing about it was that he kind of was but not with the other shifter but against him.

"What do you want me to say?" Athen snapped back. "Yes, go kill him? You know me better than that. There's never a time I'd say that."

Athen took a step closer, despite every instinct told him not to. "I don't give a fuck about that wolf. I care about you. That's it. I'm not going to tell you what you want to hear. I'm telling you what you need to hear so you don't end a monster or dead."

"I already said I'd help you find your sisters. And I said I'd help you find the wolf. But I'm not doing that so you can kill him. I'm doing it so this doesn't kill you." Athen sighed. Old feelings die hard. His for Savas never truly did. Now they are flaring up again because the man is being an idiot. Funny how works. "You act like you have nothing to live for. You have Scarlett. You have Shiloh. You have me. It's like you're running headlong into danger and you don't even care what happens to those who care about you."

• King
  • 99 posts
  • Aggressive Coyote
  • 5'10"
No. No, Athen would never say go for it, go kill somebody. Especially some feral wolf. Athen was never like that. Savas didn't like thinking it but... it was a part of Savas. Even when he was little, there was that dangerous spark inside that urged him to pull for vengeance, to never allow others to step on what he had. He was fiercely loyal to those who mattered in his life--like his sisters, like Athen--but when it came to anybody outside that rough little circle, it was nothing but distrust and snappish behavior. Letting people in meant things like this happened. Savas' parents probably never saw this coming. Those rabbit shifters, they never saw it coming. But if Savas, if he were here, he would have seen it. He would have been able to do something. He couldn't help thinking it and it tormented him. Because what was he doing when it all happened?

Every muscle was taut and his jaw tensed as Athen stepped closer; it was all he could do not to snap. Athen meant well but he didn't know. He couldn't feel the maddening grief clawing its way through his heart. He couldn't see his parents' lives flashing before his life. He didn't feel that tightness in his chest every time he thought of his innocent little sisters who knew so little of the world and were far too curious for their own good. The images of his parents, bloodied and ruined, kept converging with that of his sisters and it was almost as if it had become reality. Deep down, he feared the worst, although he tried to hold desperately onto hope.

Finally his vision narrowed in on Athen and he breathed in harshly. His lips parted, words meant to pass through them but nothing escaped. He meant to argue but Athen touched a raw nerve. Maybe it was true. Maybe Savas was tearing at everything and everyone around him in a headlong rush straight to death. Maybe death would be a welcome and violent end to all of this shit inside that he couldn't deal with. His chest felt tighter than ever, as if he could hardly take in a breath. That's not true, the argumentative words hung unspoken between them, a lie that Athen would see straight through.

Savas reached out, grasping the front of Athen's shirt and dragging him roughly forward. Lips crashed against lips, feet stumbling as Savas pressed Athen against the rough bark of a nearby tree. The kiss deepened and his hips pushed insistently against Athen's before he broke the kiss off with teeth catching Athen's lower lip briefly. Then they were forehead to forehead, noses brushing, breath mingling.

"Don't ever say that again."

Athen Temple

Self-preservation is interesting. Athen is not a strong shifter. Like any other owl, he's better at a quick strike followed by flight. Breaking Savas' personal space was against reason. He's angry. He's hurt. He has every right to be. It wasn't smart to confront him. Yet, there was no other choice.

The fear that should be there was different. Athen was scared. Not of Savas. Never Savas. It was the path the coyote was walking on. He didn't know what to do. He wanted to fix this. He wanted to help but right now, this meant going along with all this anger and desire for revenge. Athen knew better. It wasn't going to help. It wasn't a judgment call. It was reality. Kill the wolf is the easy answer and reality doesn't like easy.

But reality loves surprises. When Athen was grabbed by Savas, he didn't know what to expect. He knew he wasn't going to get hurt. But this... this was not what the thought was going to happen today. The moment Savas' lips touched his, Athen fell back into a familiar rhythm. He moved at the will of the coyote, his body obeying without question.

Athen's back was to the tree, his body flush with Savas. The cool breeze had a colder touch to it as his heart beat faster, his body heating up. He put his hand on Savas' waist, his fingers hooking the loop of the man's jeans. The slight coarse touch from Savas' beard was a familiar reminded of a better time. A happier time.

It ended too soon. Athen griped Savas' hip harder. He didn't want to let the other man go. Maybe the coyote was going to run if he did.

Hearing those words made it worse. It was all too confusing. Athen's body yearned for Savas. He wanted to keep the other man safe, to soothe his anger.

"I'm sorry." He didn't want to hurt Savas. Even though he believed what he had said. "I don't want to lose you to this. To this wolf. To anyone. I just... I can't let you go."

• King
  • 99 posts
  • Aggressive Coyote
  • 5'10"
Before all this, before Savas' family was stolen from him in a brutal fashion, and before revenge reigned supreme in his mind, Savas wasn't quite this intense. Savas had a wild side, of course. He'd been born in a community that valued the wild side of being a shifter. He wasn't taught the finer nuances to be a person--to being a human. Reality? His family eschewed the idea that they were even half human most of the time. It took time to bring that side out of him.

Savas had a deep love of freedom. He was loyal to a fault, especially to family and those he felt were like family. Those like Athen. But he didn't like what he was saying and he wasn't afraid to say so. Did Athen really believe those words? That Savas didn't care about his sisters or Athen? That his loyalty to his now dead family meant that he had dropped his feelings for those who still lived? He didn't quite understand Athen's sentiments.

"Who says you're losing me?" Savas asked gruffly. Where did this become--to Athen--a method of losing him? Did he think he was losing his mind? That his mind was only on catching that wolf and killing him? Maybe it was. He didn't know. His sisters were still in danger with that wolf out there, though, didn't Athen see that part?

"He has to be destroyed," Savas tried to explain, "because if he's not, my sisters will be next." If they hadn't already died. Savas had no idea what had become of them, but he had to hold onto the hope they were still alive or he might just lose himself to exactly what Athen was afraid of.

Recent Topics

Cbox

Affiliates

RPG Rating 3 3 3 RPG-D