Is it gonna be the year that kills me?

Started by Savas Oakley, Dec 11, 2018, 02:20 PM

Athen Temple

Deep down Athen wanted to believe that Savas knew what he was doing. That this anger wasn't clouding his judgment but fueling his determination instead. It would make this go away. Make it easier for the other man.

There was a time before all this when Athen found Savas' determination attractive. He liked that it wasn't easy at first. He had to earn the other shifter's trust. And in return, he was rewarded with loyalty. This moment it harkened back to that time. Athen had earned his way and Savas was sharing his truth.

"Everything about this, this wolf, screams of danger," Athen replied in kind. There is a fine line between determination and arrogance. Savas had never crossed that particular line before. It doesn't mean he won't. This experience is enough to drive most people to their limit. The coyote can fight. That won't stop him from missing the red flags. One wrong move – no more Savas.

Just the thought of it made Athen pull Savas closer even if there was no more space to spare.

Athen wasn't thinking clearly. He was lost in his feelings of Savas. The world around them was a haze of unimportant ephemera. But it might have been a blessing. What Savas said, it didn't make sense. Or maybe it did and Athen was too self-absorbed to catch it. "Savas, you are talking like this wolf is targeting your family." If that was the truth, it changed everything.

If this wasn't just a feral wolf...

• What even is a life savings?
  • King
  • 99 posts
  • Aggressive Coyote
  • 5'10"
Yes, yes. Everything about this wolf was dangerous. He or she ripped apart smaller shifters with no problems whatsoever. Whether they were in human or animal form, that wolf had torn out throats and took vicious pleasure in it. How else did one explain how the wolf tore them into pieces and left them? This wasn't about food. Savas was aware of feral wolves but they had never come down this far from the mountains. They usually stayed far away, up in the forests in the mountainside. There was a peace between them, perhaps an uneasy peace but it was there.

Savas, however, was unaware of the politics of the werewolves. He didn't know they were under tumult and to be honest, he didn't care. Whatever reason they had for what they did would never be good enough to make up for those hollow, dead eyes. His parents, once lively and full of good humor, his parents that did everything for himself and the rest of their family, for the smaller shifters around them... They were nothing in the eyes of this wolf. This white wolf.

Athen still didn't seem to understand but he at least appeared to be trying to. Savas bit his lower lip and turned his head away, to the shadows that surrounded them, to the scent of blood on the horizon. He wrinkled his nose slightly. Was that now, in the present or was he just conjuring the memory into reality?

When he turned his gaze back on Athen, his blue eyes could have pierced straight through him.

"Because it has to be, Athen. That wolf didn't belong down here. The way he attacked was more personal than a typical feral attack. I can't explain it in words, but believe me... there's something personal about this."

Athen Temple

When Athen was young, his parents kept talking about how their family was special. That they came from the bloodline of a divine owl, the companion of Athena, the goddess of wisdom and war. It never seemed like the truth. It was just an excuse to back up their delusions of grandeur. Each new declaration of their greatness was followed by a ludicrous conspiracy of threats from the world around them.

It was never the same threat though. Sometimes it's the government. Sometimes it's the bikers from the bar down the road. Sometimes is the old lady working at the mom-and-pop store in town. Nothing ever happened as you can expect when nothing is there. For the family, it was further proof of their greatness. No conspiracy can stand against them.

Maybe that's why Athen has a hard time believe Savas. Some parts of the coyote's story sound so much like a crazy sermon his father used to give. Except this wasn't some delusion. Savas' parents were dead. The wolf was real. And so was the threat.

At the same time, Athen had his doubts. Once you've heard wolf yelled one too many times it loses its power. A random act of violence makes so much more sense than a targeted attack. Especially with werewolves. No part of it felt right. So maybe it was Athen who was wrong.

"I don't know what to tell you, Savas," Athen sighed. "I have doubts. I can't ignore that." Instinctively, he pulled the other man closer. "But if there is a chance I'm wrong... I don't want to imagine what would happen. So, wherever you'll go, I'll follow." He had to keep the man safe. There was no option.

"Do you... do you have a place to stay? Somewhere not near the forest so you don't end up doing something stupid without me."

• King
  • 99 posts
  • Aggressive Coyote
  • 5'10"
There was little in the world that could convince Savas otherwise; that the white wolf had attacked his family, and those families of the rabbits and other shifters nearby. Something had been deranged in that animal, the way it attacked. Definitely a feral. Savas knew about feral werewolves--there was some kind of strain, some kind of virus or something that affected them and made them wilder, harder to control than other werewolves. They couldn't even control themselves.

That didn't give that bastard a pass, though. The murderer would pay the consequences for not just hurting his family but breaking them apart, killing them. The loss still stung deep inside Savas. Memories of his parents flitted through his mind, reminding him of exactly what he lost. And then he saw the white wolf again, on the scene, prowling about as if proud of his work. Savas frowned just thinking about it, then raised a hand to his temple to gently massage it.

He allowed himself to be pulled closer, knowing that Athen was just trying to comfort him. Yet he didn't like Athen's doubts. Maybe it was the bird in him, maybe that was what kept him from truly believing. He wasn't as predatory, he wasn't used to hunting. No, no. That wasn't true. He could hunt. He was a hunter of a type, too.

Before he could protest, Athen at least promised to follow him. The relief was palpable. Good. He had somebody to count on. That alone lessened the tension in his shoulders and he leaned into Athen slightly, the companionship more than welcome. Somebody had his back, at least. He would have somebody to help him locate his family, to find that wolf. And maybe Athen required proof before he did anything but... But Savas...

Savas snapped back out of his reverie, gaze meeting Athen's.

"No," he finally said. "All I have is the forest." He half smiled, eyes lighting up as he slid an arm around Athen's waist. "Are you offering up a place?"

Athen Temple

It must be lonely for Savas. This fight with exposing the truth and finding the killer was a hard road and he has no one. It was clear to Athen that he needed someone. This path is treacherous and unforgiving. Or so it seemed.

Athen's own path was the polar opposite. It was a calm and cold path. The air of stagnation filled his life. But he was lonely too. He had friends and acquaintances. That doesn't mean much at the end of the day if you don't feel like someone will be there for you.

Seeing Savas' reaction sparked a glimmer of hope in Athen. This could be good for both of them. Their paths can unite and together it will be an easier journey. Athen knows he can't stop Savas but as long as they are together, he can follow him around – be the owl perched on his shoulder keeping watch.

"I do have a couch," Athen mused, a slight tease in his tone. "But the bed is more comfortable. You'd just have to share it with me. Nothing new for you."

It'll be like old times...

Athen didn't say that. They couldn't go back. These were new times. But that doesn't mean some things can't stay the same. And Athen has never been afraid to go off the beaten track before.

"So, that's what I can offer," Athen leaned closer, his head tilted to the side. A model of a curious bird. "If you want, you'll always have a place with me."

• King
  • 99 posts
  • Aggressive Coyote
  • 5'10"
Oho, he had a couch, did he? But the bed... it sounded much more comfortable. Savas' eyes lit up at the mention and something akin to affection and warmth blossomed in his chest as his gaze met Athen's. This was more like it. Something he needed, more than he cared to admit. All the anger and stress that bundled up inside of him, all the grief he wasn't allowed to fully feel... It had stirred up a chaotic ball of rage and hate--all he could think about was killing the person responsible for stealing his family for him.

But Athen's calm demeanor was a balm to his sore and aching soul. It was nice to just... be. To breathe in. To breathe out. To not let every muscle inside of him tense, to not clench his jaw until it hurt. He needed this. A friend. An old friend. A lover. Once. Still...? Savas thought that was what he was offering. Hopefully not out of pity. The last thing Savas wanted was a pity fuck. But he didn't think that lowly of Athen; he doubted that was where his offer stood, especially with the way he looked at him with that tilted head, those penetrating eyes...

"Yeah," Savas said, his voice slightly husky with repressed emotion. Not so much smiling now that Athen leaned in close. For a long moment, Savas' blue eyes searched Athen's for some kind of sign. Of what, even he didn't know. Just... something. Then after a brief silence stretched between them, Savas smiled and he reached out his hand to brush fingertips over Athen's jaw, a thumb sliding over his lower lip as his heart began to beat faster.

"Yeah," he said again. "That's what I want."

Recent Topics

Cbox

Affiliates

RPG Rating 3 3 3 RPG-D