Oh, there's a river that winds on forever

Started by Lyle Duffy, Jan 13, 2020, 05:45 PM

• we are born in the slumber
  • Bishop
  • 169 posts
  • Farmer Boy
  • 5'8"
So. Werewolves? A thing. Lyle even had one living in one of the old barns on his family's property. And she said somebody was missing. Somebody she knew. Beyond that, Lyle hadn't been able to get much more out of her but he assumed that the person was a werewolf, too. Maybe family, friend, maybe somebody close. To be honest, she wasn't that friendly towards him but he could sort of understand why. Humans hadn't been kind to her and they kind of had a shitty track record. Lyle was doing his best to change that, though.

How do I find somebody that I don't know? How did he even know what to look for? That was why he was up by Pebble Lake, in the hopes of finding something. Already he'd scoured the woods around his house and the farm but so far, no good. If his new werewolf friend ended up separated from this person, maybe they were farther away. Hence the lake.

Idly, Lyle traversed along the lake bed, occasionally picking up a stone, hefting it in his hand and then skipping it over the calm surface of the lake. Nothing really seemed to look out of place. The lake was quiet this time of day--an hour or so before dusk. It was already growing dark out. Winter seemed to bring the clouds and the moon much faster. If he stayed much longer, he was going to be be chewed out for not being home on time for dinner.

Lyle crouched down for another rock, but then remained where he was, the smooth rock cool against his palm. What was that? He heard the barest whisper of a sound close by. There was no wind so it wasn't the tall grass rustling in a breeze. Lyle squinted out into the grass around him, out beyond the grass and the bank and out where the trees lined the area. A strange sensation tickled his spine and he shivered, looking warily over his shoulder. Nothing. Slowly he stood, the stone still in hand. He held it tight, ready to throw as needed.

"Hello? Is somebody out there?"

Ito Nozomi

Despite working during the day, after dark was when Nozomi fit right in. Literally and figuratively. His magic played well in the daytime with shadows cast upon the ground giving him plenty of places to hide and travel through, however, that was where his strength in the daytime ended. His magic was meant for the darkness, when the moon came out and most people hid away in the protection of their homes.

The darkness would still obey his call during the day, yes, however, it held a whole new level of power at night, when there was already a veil of gray cast over everything. He took even less effort to pull from it when he didn't have to create it, and instead manipulate what was readily available.

Spending time at his friend's cabin, he glanced outside her window at the sky. As usual, he liked to come here to watch the sunset. It was a beautiful and comforting sight, the sun setting as well as rising during the night and day.

Normally, he was alone when he traversed outside to the lake's edge or sat upon one of the benches, but today seemed different, oddly.

He'd appeared between the trees which surrounded the lake, walking through the eerie shadows as he normally did. Yet, he sensed there was someone there, and had to duck behind a tree to keep from being seen as soon as he appeared, catching a glimpse of the person's back.

Nozomi stepped around and passed the tree, as if the view of him was blocked briefly by it and he'd been walking there, rather than frozen in the shadows. He raised his brows quizzically and continued forward, shoulders back with his hands in his pockets to hide them from the chill, recovering from his surprise.

"Sorry, sorry, did I scare you?" he said apologetically.

Kids in this town, he swore...

(He's a befuddled old person. 'These kids? Why?? Do they all??? Go out??? Looking for trouble??? At the worst times???')

• Bishop
  • 169 posts
  • Farmer Boy
  • 5'8"
Cursing under his breath, Lyle let the rock slip from his hand. He felt like a right idiot, holding onto a rock for protection against something out here. Especially if there really was some kinda shifter gobbling monster out here. But... this was supposed to be where werewolves were, right? Lyle watched the man with wary eyes, not moving closer nor further from.

"Have you seen any wolves out here?" he asked.

Might as well go out on a limb and ask. Maybe this person could lead him in the right direction. If that was the case, it would make his self-imposed job a lot easier. (Well, it wasn't totally self imposed. He was looking for somebody's friends and family, after all.)

Ito Nozomi

Seeing the kid's expression, Nozomi chose not to step any closer. He looked like a student, and considering it was dangerous for adults around here, a kid definitely shouldn't be hanging around the area by themselves. Considering he'd seem awful strange walking around by himself, too, he didn't mention that.

"Eh?" Wolves? Nozomi's brows furrowed. What was a kid doing looking for wolves?

After a moment, he slowly shook his head. "Sorry, I only just stepped outside now and haven't seen any." he scrutinized the kid, "Why are you looking for wolves? That's kind of dangerous, no?"

Was he a young hunter? Or... a curious kid as they were wont to be, especially with all that went on in this town?

• Bishop
  • 169 posts
  • Farmer Boy
  • 5'8"
"Maybe," he said. Most people weren't going around looking for wolves but it wasn't as if Lyle was going to share with a total stranger why he was looking for wolves. His best reason for it?

"I found an injured wolf that I've been taking care of and I thought maybe I could find her pack."

That was about as safe as it got without giving away too much. And it was mostly the truth. The girl he found was a wolf, and for now, she was safe. But she probably could do with finding more like herself.

"I heard there was a pack in this area."

Ito Nozomi

"Oh, that's terrible." The poor animal must be frightened, alone and taken care of by a person, unable to defend itself in the different environment. Nozomi did have doubts about what the kid was telling him, but outright asking about magic was out of the question.

"It's impressive you're taking care of her."

He let his gaze roam over the trees, past the lake. "These are woods, so there's definitely a pack, but..." he quirked his head, considering how to continue,

"What can you do if you find it? A pack of wolves would likely attack, unless you could talk to animals or something." Even then, they may only communicate wanting to dig their teeth into his neck.

(Nozomi is highly doubting wolf whisperer over here, lol)

• Bishop
  • 169 posts
  • Farmer Boy
  • 5'8"
Being a naturalist, communicating with animals was actually sort of one of his gifts, too. It wasn't like talking to people, though. He couldn't make animal sounds but he could understand what they were communicating to him when they made their sounds. But... that sounded like crazy talk so Lyle only let out a soft laugh and half smiled as he wrapped his arms around himself.

"I doubt they'll attack me," he said. "And no, I can't talk to them, but I can see if there are wolves around here, see if it's safe to bring her here when she's ready."

Ito Nozomi

By nature, animals were cautious around him, whether the most domesticated cat or a territorial wolf. He couldn't help it, and at this point, became accustomed to the reaction. His magic wasn't exactly what one would call 'good'. However, he thought animals tread carefully in any case, but maybe he was wrong.

"Ah, really?"

He thought the kid was leaving some pieces of information out, raising his brows and giving him a careful, quizzical Look, but he didn't push.

"... Well, if you really want to look for them, I can help you. I don't feel very good leaving someone alone here, so..." he smiled, letting his sentence trail off. Nozomi might have been tempted to say 'a kid', but to be perfectly fair, no one was out of risk of danger wandering around these parts. He could escape with a fair amount of ease, hence his lack of concern for himself.

• Bishop
  • 169 posts
  • Farmer Boy
  • 5'8"
"Well, yeah." Lyle shrugged. "They might not be the right pack, though. That might be a problem."

He didn't say that he could describe the pack to the girl--wolf--that he was taking care of. That just seemed like he was asking for trouble. Even in Hazleton, it wasn't always safe to discuss the nature of his abilities. His mother always cautioned himself and his brothers to be careful who they showed it to or talked about it with. She knew the people who were safe. But they couldn't know everybody was. And Lyle had never met this guy before.

"But sure, if you want to help." It was better than going it alone, unless this guy was luring him into a trap. Another thing his mother told him to stay wary of. He would keep his eyes and ears open. Do his best to stay safe. Not go too far into the forest.

"I'm Lyle," he said as he held out a hand, the way his father taught him to.

Ito Nozomi

For now, he would wonder the missing details of the kid's story, and see if there were any more hints later on.

Yeah, Nozomi couldn't help but to offer his help. If he left the kid to wander around and find the wolves he was searching for on his own, there was no saying what could happen. Not every possibility was morbid, but... there was no way he would know.

Nozomi shook his hand, "Nozomi." For now, Lyle was stuck with him. He turned to survey the forest, glancing at him in the corner of his eye.

"Did you have an idea where the wolves might be?" Since animals were wary of Nozomi-- more so than with most kinds-- he never went out of his way to search out where the pack in this forest made their home, or if there were multiple packs.

• Bishop
  • 169 posts
  • Farmer Boy
  • 5'8"
"I have sort of an idea."

Lyle started walking alongside the riverbed, pointing downward as he did.

"Tracks."

There were definite wolf tracks near the river, where they would naturally come to drink water before going on a hunt. That didn't mean they were werewolves, though. They could just as easily be true wolves. But the tracks were there. Lyle was no special hunter or anything. Just a simple farm boy, but he knew what predator tracks looked like. They were all around their coops in the winter, when food in the forest became scarce.

"And then up that way." Lyle pointed up, further into the woods.

Ito Nozomi

Nozomi raised a brow, gaze following where Lyle was pointing.

"Ah," he mused thoughtfully, catching on. Nozomi hadn't thought about tracking them, but never searched out wolves or any other animal. Dragons being predatory creatures didn't hold much meaning when living in a town, mostly in a human form... or when one was trying their best to steer clear of frightening anyone. Even larger animals who hunted because they needed to were feared.

"Good call." he flashed a small grin, noting the path the track led. and they were on their way.

Nozomi shifted his eyes up to the sky, attentive to the setting sun.

(I wasn't certain the pace you wanted to go with the wolves, so didn't run through to them finding anything. If you want me to, prod me or whatever.)

• Bishop
  • 169 posts
  • Farmer Boy
  • 5'8"
(It's all good, you can always throw stuff at me.)

Lyle followed the tracks mostly in silence, picking his way through the hills as they grew steeper and the trees grew thicker. Before he realized it, he was unable to follow anymore tracks... because the sun had set. Lyle stopped, looked back the way they'd come--and saw nothing but trees. Shit.

"Maybe we should go back--"

AWOOOOOOO!

The sound of the wolf's howl made his heart skip a beat and Lyle finally realized that he was truly putting himself into harm's way. He was halfway up the mountains and he'd found what he was looking for... in the dark and with no clear pathway back. Lyle patted himself down and found his phone. Of course, it couldn't connect... he expected that but still made a noise of disappointment.

But he could still use the flashlight function.

"I should've come earlier," he admitted to Nozomi. "Hopefully we don't run into any feral wolves out here..."

Ito Nozomi

"... Probably." hesitatingly Nozomi agreed without adding more on what a risky play Lyle made. He didn't want to sound preach-y, but when it wasn't a safe place during the day, after dark certainly wasn't any better... Lyle probably figured out all of the issues with his plan now-- or at least he hoped.

When he offered to join, Nozomi's concern wasn't out of paranoia.

The howl sounded close enough to be concerning. He glanced in the direction where it came from, wondering if they would really have to deal with an angry pack of wolves. Behind them were trees shrouded in the grays of nighttime, illuminated only briefly when the light of the flashlight struck them, chasing away the dark.

I'm glad I came with him.

"If we do, we'll think of something." If it came to it, wolves wouldn't like his magic very much.

"Go," he heard the sound of rustling leaves nearby, and was starting to pick up the faint scent of a certain predatory animal, so Nozomi put his hand on Lyle's back and nudged slightly. There was no maybe-- they needed to leave, and leave immediately.

Not only because of the flashlight in his hand, but out of a (hopefully) subtle protectiveness, Nozomi lagged a little behind him, not just beside him. If something lunged at Lyle's back, he could try to block it.

They were losing the getaway attempt, and it was increasingly obvious. Loud growls came from the bushes around them in multiple locations.

One didn't sound so normal.

Something black lunged at them from the nearest spot of trees, and Nozomi halted abruptly, grabbing Lyle and pulling him back while cursing under his breath.

Large, black, and clearly frazzled, it growled at them, razor sharp canines glistening in the touch of light.

And its friends seemed to be near.

• Bishop
  • 169 posts
  • Farmer Boy
  • 5'8"
"Yeah... okay."

Lyle wasn't going to argue with the older man. He heard that sound, too, the rustling. Suddenly, he wished he hadn't gotten rid of that rock. His mind wound through the spells he knew. What could he do to help? Grow plants, like his mother?

"Shit."

Even Lyle could see they were in trouble. The wolves were surrounding them. And they.... were exactly what he was looking for. He could sense it in their uncannily intelligent gazes, in the way they moved, and the magic that came off them as magical beasts. It connected with his magic side. Werewolves. Lyle sucked in a breath. The light from his flashlight on the phone wasn't going to be enough.

With a quick chant, and then a movement upward, Lyle summoned a small ball of summer light up into the sky. It was bright enough that the wolves were startled enough to stop their advancement. But then the biggest one, the snarling, angry one--feral? Fuck!-- lunged at Nozomi, who was still in front of Lyle.

"Watch out!"

Recent Topics

Cbox

Affiliates

RPG Rating 3 3 3 RPG-D