After Hours

Started by Heath Rafferty, Dec 31, 2017, 06:06 PM

Choi Jun Yong

"I should be able to. Then what, try talking it into shifting to communicate?" That was only a guess, Jun Yong didn't know how well that would work but how else could they ask it anything?

• darling just pull the trigger
  • Rook
  • 66 posts
  • Park Ranger Rafferty
  • 6'7"
"Tire it out," Heath said, still thinking as he spoke. He slowed the truck down a little, checking up and down the trail, wondering if any wolves had managed to keep up with them. Maybe there were some lurking out there right now. He frowned slightly. As much as he wanted to do this now, he also didn't like that it was so dark out. In human form, it was hard to see in the forest. He looked over at Jun Yong as he braked.

"They change back when they're exhausted, right?"

Choi Jun Yong

"Normally yeah."

His barrier staying up wasn't an issue, rather how long it would take for a werewolf to tire themselves out and shift. In the forest they were at risk, especially considering the wolf could call for more friends while trapped. Jun Yong could hide himself and others in some barriers, but a wolf howling for its pack mates would be heard through even those spells.

"What about other wolves coming around?" Just like what happened with the wolf that saw them earlier, he doubted one would tire itself out without alerting other wolves.

• Rook
  • 66 posts
  • Park Ranger Rafferty
  • 6'7"
"Shit, you're right," Heath said, seeing that Jun Yong had a point. If they trapped one wolf, others would surely be close behind. Heath let out a sigh and he stepped back on the gas. No wolves had come up to them when he stopped, anyway. Still, he checked in his rearview mirror and he could have sworn he saw something back there, like a glint of light that disappeared before Heath could properly make it out.

"I was thinking of shifting and finding out for myself but..."

Choi Jun Yong

How could they keep the other wolves away to get to one? He could trap the one and put a barrier around them as well, but that didn't sound like the most convenient idea. The group would likely break through the one surrounding them, or... there were just too many things that could go wrong the more he had to separate his focus. Jun Yong didn't slither fast enough as a snake to fight off a bunch of wolves, either. He bit his lip thoughtfully.

"But what? Too dangerous with all the wolves?"

(If I misunderstood what he was saying you can assume Jun Yong did too, fyi lol)

• Rook
  • 66 posts
  • Park Ranger Rafferty
  • 6'7"
"Hehe, yep. I mean, I shift into a nice sized raptor. Eagle, you know? But..." He tapped his fingers restlessly against the steering wheel, then checked his rearview mirror. Nothing behind them except his tail lights on rough dirt terrain and the trees and shrubbery that flanked it.

"I mean, I can fight a wolf if I have to but a whole pack of 'em? Not so much."

Choi Jun Yong

"Yeah..." An eagle, huh? It seemed they were both in the same boat against the wolves. Taking out two mutts wasn't going to benefit them amidst a full pack, and he didn't have the ability to fly away if the situation went south; Jun Yong didn't even slither fast-- oh the perks of being a fat ass serpent.

"Did you see something?" Jun Yong hadn't been looking behind them but thought he noticed Heath check his mirror a couple of times. Turning, he glanced out of the back window, hoping his special little nighttime sight would aid in catching a glimpse at anything out there.

• Rook
  • 66 posts
  • Park Ranger Rafferty
  • 6'7"
"Nope, nothing." Unfortunately.

There wasn't much going on behind them. He was guessing that since the wolves had been thrown off their trail, they were no longer concerned with them. Up ahead, he saw his station and the truck hit rocky territory, jolting them around for a moment. At the station, he could see his replacement waiting, casually looking out into the woods and not looking altogether concerned.

"I guess whatever's happening didn't reach him yet," he said to Jun Yong as he turned into the small parking area and the other ranger began to stroll unhurriedly over to them.

Choi Jun Yong

Hm, weird... He let that thought trail off as they neared their destination. No use bothering about it now.

"... Or maybe he's not bothered by it." As much as Jun Yong hoped otherwise, some people couldn't care less. Maybe the guy was just interested in getting his job done. Or he was guessing wrong.

Jun Yong glanced out the window at the guy, curious what he'd have to say.

• Rook
  • 66 posts
  • Park Ranger Rafferty
  • 6'7"
"Howdy!" said the other ranger cheerfully as he reached them. He was slightly older than Heath and his hair was already starting to grey at the temples. Heath quickly introduced them, saying, "Jun Yong, this is Pete. Pete, this is Jun Yong."

Pete reached out to take Jun Yong's hand. "Pleasure to meet you." He cut his gaze to Heath. "What were you two doing out there in those parts this late?"

"Actually, there was another attack." He scratched the back of his neck. "More like a massacre, actually..."

(OOC: Feel free to control Pete too.)

Choi Jun Yong

Whoa, so... bubbly. He blinked, shaking hands and nodding his head in greeting. It was a little awkward to be seeing someone act so pleasantly after what they were previously running from. The juxtaposition threw Jun Yong off since he was still thinking of that.

Maybe the guy really hadn't heard yet...

"What? Really, when?! I haven't heard anything except from you now."

• Rook
  • 66 posts
  • Park Ranger Rafferty
  • 6'7"
"I didn't want to alarm you," Heath said, instantly regretting saying anything in front of a civilian. At the same time, knowing that he was part of the supernatural community--while Pete wasn't--made it somewhat easier. He had to know somehow. Maybe he should have said something sooner. Pete looked at Jun Yong and took in his surprise before clearing his throat and giving Heath a knowing Look. Yeah, well. Pete didn't know all the details either. And to be fair, neither did Heath.

"But yeah, there was a massacre. A bunch of... animals," he glanced at Jun Yong. "They were attacked by those feral wolves that were up north."

Choi Jun Yong

"Ah..." he should have expected it though, with the swarm of ferals that attacked them earlier. Clearing his throat, "No... it's fine..." Frankly, Jun Yong would have probably found out about it eventually, no? He thought so anyway. Exclaiming like that in front of them bothered Jun Yong, who didn't normally allow himself such reactions.

Animals, huh? He looked at Pete then Heath, wondering what they'd do now that they were here. Not talk more about werewolves and barriers, that was certain. "Did anyone from town get attacked?" ... He wanted to include any of those shifter animals but didn't get into that detail with Pete there, who might have thought him some punk who lost his way in the forest (or that's what his expression told Jun Yong).

(... I actually forgot if Heath brought up the other attack or not before but hope I didn't miss that not checking back.)

• Rook
  • 66 posts
  • Park Ranger Rafferty
  • 6'7"
"Not anybody from town," Heath said carefully. He wondered if it meant anything to Jun Yong or if he knew what it meant for them not to be accounted for in town. Guys like Pete wouldn't even know these people were missing, at least, not the majority of them. They were a small community that lived on their own in the forests around Hazleton. They didn't really come into town. If Heath could liken them to anybody, it might have been a community like the Amish; they eschewed the modern world in favor of their own world. Look what it brought them. Heath wasn't bitter--he was sad. They hid themselves and now nobody would even know they were gone.

Heath looked over at Jun Yong as Pete shook his head and turned back to the station, presumably to radio one of the other rangers. As he did, Heath said in a low tone, "Are you fine from here or would you feel safer if I brought you home?"

Choi Jun Yong

Well that... was depressing to think about. All those people, suddenly gone and all that was left of them were their mangled corpses. He was relieved he didn't happen upon them. Without even knowing what the scene looked like, he imagined it... would have been a huge trigger, and that wasn't something he wanted to deal with.

Uncomfortable merely by the thought, he shivered.

Jun Yong shook his head. "I'll be fine getting home on my own." he glanced over at Heath, "And if you really wanna try catching a feral I won't mind helping." They could certainly think of some way for it to work, and Jun Yong would be putting his barriers to good use, he thought.

Recent Topics

Cbox

Affiliates

RPG Rating 3 3 3 RPG-D