Friends of cats

Started by Mikko Ashby, Mar 01, 2020, 11:45 AM

• He's like a less cute version of you but he'll have to do He's like a Wal-Mart version of you but he'll have to do He'll have to do
  • Rook
  • 237 posts
  • So now, he's next to me But I can feel you in my heart
  • ??
  • 6'2"
Rip shook his head. No matter what Mik thought he was saying, of this, he knew was true. It was not worth fighting with his family over him. It wasn't worth losing family over him, even if Mik liked golems. Family... Mik was very lucky to have it. And it should come first. He laughed softly at the idea of him taking advantage of somebody. He wasn't even sure if he had the ability to do so. What would he even be taking advantage of...? The... kitten? Hm. Maybe he could. He half frowned at himself.

But then, good news! Rip looked up. "So many!" he said in awe. Already that many were lined up for homes. It felt like what he had done made some kind of difference. And that warmed his heart more than Mik could ever know. Keith said he would never make a difference in the world. But he was wrong. And that... somehow gave him a kind of courage he didn't even know he had.

"She has to go to somebody extra special," Rip declared. "But I bet anybody who sees her will love her. She's that kind of fish."

Immediately noticeable. Pretty. Flashy. But she was stuck alone in that bowl. And now... she was in an aquarium with others!

"Should we look at them? I think this little one's finished." She was trying to clean herself but really just rolling ineffectually around, too small to get the job done on her own.

• Add a personal text!
  • Queen
  • 324 posts
  • 6'0
"She's so stately! Royalty for sure!" Queenie was a beautiful goldfish, and she would make a wonderful addition to any tank! Mik was trying hard to find them all good homes with people he personally knew and trusted. That meant it may take some time but in the end, putting in all that hard work would be worth it, especially just to see Rip so happy. Mik was doing this for the fish but also for Rip, and for himself too! Everyone deserved a good home, regardless of whether they were fish or golem!

He stood up nodding. "Yep! Let's go take a look at them!" Mik kissed the top of the fluffy kitten's head before placing it back into the pen, where it gambolled and rolled around with the others, glad to be reunited. He could come back later to make sure they went potty and that nobody threw up their meal. Sometimes it took a little while for the food to settle—or to come back up.

Taking Rip's hand again, he led him down the long hallway. Some rooms were offices; others led to kennels and cages and pens, and yet others were examination rooms. They had a vet come in twice a week to look at sick animals, and several assistants popped in and out during the day to take shifts cleaning and looking after the animals. But at the very end of the hallway was that big inner office where he'd parked Cori, with the comfy couch and the fish tank. Except when he opened the door, there was no Cori!

"Oh—he's gone!" Cori's coat wasn't there anymore. He'd left one mitten, though, which laid on the couch. Huh. "I left a friend in here, but I guess he left." Mik shook his head; hopefully Cori was on the way home, back to Lieve now. "Look! See, they're all doing really well! I even bought them some plants and that purple castle. Doesn't that look nice?"

• He's like a less cute version of you but he'll have to do He's like a Wal-Mart version of you but he'll have to do He'll have to do
  • Rook
  • 237 posts
  • ??
  • 6'2"
Even when she was gone, Rip lightly touched the place where she'd been, as if she'd left an indelible mark on him. He smiled to himself. Because she did. Maybe he would never see her again. Maybe only in photos on a phone he'd buy secretly on his way home... But if she went somewhere better, he would never regret knowing her. Or Mik, for that matter.

He glanced at Mik as he took his hand and led him down a hallway. This all seemed so natural to Mik. Holding hands, sitting close, nuzzling. He was still thinking about all that when they stopped. Mik's friend had apparently up and left. But... Rip's brow furrowed slightly and his hand tightened on Mik's for a moment. The sigil on his back ached.

"...yes," he said distractedly to Mik but instead of going over to the beautiful tankful of goldfish, he moved to the place where somebody's mitten was still sitting on a couch. He picked it up.

"Did this belong to your friend?" he asked tonelessly.

• Add a personal text!
  • Queen
  • 324 posts
  • 6'0
"Hm? Oh, yeah! Cori's always leaving things, and we're always picking up after him." He was exasperated but fond. Cori didn't mean to be a scatter-brain, and he was always very thankful to have his belongings returned to him. But what was with that tone? Mik wandered back to Rip's side, having gone over to the tank under the impression that Rip would follow!

"Everything okay? You look kind of... pale, Rip." He touched Rip's wrist. "Do you need to sit down?"

• Rook
  • 237 posts
  • ??
  • 6'2"
"Keith's been here."

Did... he know that Rip was here? Was this some kind of message? Why would he want anything to do with Mik's friend? Rip tried to remember if Rip followed him when he took off. But he hadn't been there. If he had, he would have been with Allie when Allie... got hurt.

There was no trace of corruption in the air but there was magic. Keith had used magic here; his sigil was reacting to the traces of it that still lingered. Swallowing hard, he looked around, turned on his heel, looked behind them, everywhere, as if he would find Keith standing there with that smirk and those cold eyes. But he wasn't here... now.

"Does your friend know him?" he asked. "Does he have a phone? Please call him. But not with the... the video. He might see me."

• Add a personal text!
  • Queen
  • 324 posts
  • 6'0
"What?" Mik immediately looked around as though he thought Keith was going to pop out from behind the couch. He didn't even know what Keith looked like! Urgently he took Rip's hand again, still glancing around. "How do you know he was here? I—no, Cori wouldn't know somebody like that! We have the same friend group, so—"

He pulled out his phone in a hurry. Something in Rip's tone spelled urgency and he didn't want to argue now. Everything else could be hammered out later; Rip could explain how he knew Keith had been here later. He wasn't joking around right now judging by the look in his eyes—mingled fear, bemusement, serious concern. Mik dialled Cori's number and put it on speaker as he stepped closer to Rip. A low shiver slid up and down his spine; Cori wasn't picking up.

"He might be. On the bus or something. Maybe he doesn't hear his phone." Mik looked around again. "Are you sure... Keith was here? We would've heard the front bell ring if anyone came in..."

• Rook
  • 237 posts
  • ??
  • 6'2"
No sign of a phone nearby. He hadn't left it behind like the mitten. Rip frowned, following the scent of magic. Like Jack... he could scent it. Keith's scent wasn't wholly unpleasant. It was a strong scent, though. Sharp, clear mint with a hint of something metallic, and heat. It was unmistakably his scent. Rip closed his eyes. Outside. They went outside. He went to the door.

And he made a small motion with his hand--a spell to stop the bell from making a sound as the doors slid open for him.

"...like that?"

He stepped outside, into the rain. It was still chilly outside and the rain was coming down pretty hard. Raising a hand to shield his eyes, he looked up and he could see that the sky was almost as dark as night. The storm had really rolled in over them with no signs of letting up any time soon.

"Keith has him." But why? He didn't understand why. Why some random friend of a person that Rip was interested in? Was this some kind of game to him? Keith... Keith did so love his games. But why play them with a golem that he could just kill with a flick of the wrist? It didn't make sense.

• Add a personal text!
  • Queen
  • 324 posts
  • 6'0
"Wha—" The bell didn't ring! They went past the sensor but it made no sound. Was it broken? Was that how Keith got in and out? Why didn't Cori yell? Why didn't he make any noise if somebody came and literally kidnapped him right from under Rip and Mik's noses? And Aunt Shelby, she didn't seem to have heard or seen anything either, because she would have said something earlier.

Aunt Shelby...! Mik looked around, startled. "Aunt Shel! She—do you think she's okay?" He brought up his phone again, having hung up on Cori after calling about four times in a row, and dialed up his aunt. To his relief she answered and Mik hastily babbled something about going out for supplies. "Stay inside Aunt Shel! It's raining too hard for you to go out! I'll be back soon!"

He ran outside, eyes narrowed against the rain. "Rip! What—Keith got Cori? Why? Cori has nothing to do with this! And—" He stopped short when a man walked out of the rain, with a hood drawn over his face. He was tall and lean and he looked like a freaking Terminator, to be perfectly honest. When he came up to them he pulled down the hood and the first thing Mik saw were eyes like chips of ice.

"Ripper. You will take me to Keith immediately," the new guy said tonelessly.

• Rook
  • 237 posts
  • ??
  • 6'2"
"...I don't know..."

He didn't know why. If he did, he would surely not be here now. Because if this was about him... But it could not be. It wasn't about Rip. He'd become shameless when covered in sweet words from people who treated him like a person. The thing was, Keith wouldn't. He didn't see him as a person. Even if he liked games, he wouldn't bother playing them with an object.

So... why...

There had to be another reason. Rip didn't have enough information and Keith didn't talk to him about his work, what he was doing, who he was chasing around or hunting while he was here. And with no Rhys around, he wasn't talking to Rhys, either. There was nothing to eavesdrop on. Did this... have something to do with Rhys? And why he hadn't come home yet?

Rip's thoughts stalled when a familiar form made itself known. He opened his mouth, but he wasn't sure why, because what was he about to say? No? Or why? Rip wasn't supposed to ask questions. He lowered his gaze.

"He went..." He followed the magic and it left the shelter. Oh. He was going home. With Cori? That didn't... why? "We have to wait for the bus."

• Add a personal text!
  • Queen
  • 324 posts
  • 6'0
Who was that guy? What was going on? Mik slowly reached for Rip, clinging to him in his uncertainty. His fingers closed around Rip's vest, tugging gently. "Rip? What's going on?"

The Terminator-looking guy with his too-perfect black hair and scary blank eyes turned to look at Mik as if seeing him for the first time. Or—no. As if noticing him for the first time, because Mik had been here all along and he simply never acknowledged it. "The human is not necessary. Get rid of him." His voice was still expressionless, if that was possible. Cold. Stiff.

"Excuse me, get rid of who? My friend is missing!" If anyone wasn't necessary, it was this guy!

• Rook
  • 237 posts
  • ??
  • 6'2"
"I don't know."

Big help he was right now. He didn't know anything. He didn't know why Keith was involving himself with Mik's friend, he didn't know why the other golem showed up, he didn't know why anything was happening the way it was happening.

"I..." He wished he could say he would call him but he never got that phone. Maybe he never would. But he turned to Mik and smiled at him as reassuringly as he could and he touched his hand. He wished he could also tell him that he'd let him know if his friend was okay but he honestly... he didn't know how he could do that without a phone or a telepathic connection.

"I'll try to find him and send him back to you," was what he finally settled with. "You don't want to come with us. Keith... you don't want to come with us," he said again, not even wanting to go down that road with poor Mik. Then he moved away and gestured for the other to follow him in the rain, down the pathway that led to the street. The bus stop was close by. He slid his gaze over. How the hell did he get here, though? Bus?

• Add a personal text!
  • Bishop
  • 37 posts
  • 6'1
Someone had bungled their job very badly and Pax had to come clean up the mess for him. The King was extremely unhappy. The entire kingdom felt it; the skies had been dark for weeks, moody gray clouds lashing harsh rain down upon everyone and everything, flooding the streets. Thunder and lightning habitually boomed and flashed, indicative of the King's sour mood.

What was meant to be a simple retrieval mission now had turned into one of recovery. They had to cut their losses, unfortunately, when it became apparent that two of his sons were beyond saving. One had been tangled up with a hunter—not an issue as far as hunters went, but his heart was lost to love. The other... If Keith hadn't taken his sweet time about it, they might have gotten to Jack Ripley in time.

And now Rhys had fallen off the radar. Someone had shielded him with a spell or a charm, making it impossible to track him. Pax had to physically come out here and assess the situation for himself—with the King naturally seeing everything through his eyes. He stood in the rain staring at the human, who persisted in clinging to the golem known as Ripper. His resemblance to Jack Ripley was, of course, impossible to miss. Another of Keith's bungling mishaps. This one could have been useful in diverting the sixth fae prince, Brayden, away from the real Jack Ripley but Keith chose instead to fuck around with him.

"Rip, no! I have to come with you! Cori's my friend!" He stepped after Rip, holding on to his hand. "I can help. I have to—"

Pax held up a hand, then clenched his fingers tight. The human let out a sharp gasp, a breathless one, and immediately crumpled to the ground. He twitched in the mud, clutching at his heart. Pax eyed him disdainfully. Pah. A mere human.

"Take me to Keith," he said again, coldly. "The King is extremely displeased and will not be kept waiting any longer."

• Rook
  • 237 posts
  • ??
  • 6'2"
"Mik!"

Of course he went back to check on him. Was he still... alive? He touched his chest, where he was clutching at it when he fell to the ground.

"What did you do to him?"

He looked up at the golem. Not only did he hurt his new friend but he was... He was also very determined to see Keith. Because... the king was displeased. The king. Was displeased. Oh. Again, Rip looked down at Mik. He had no idea what Keith was thinking or what he was doing but...

KEITH! No, no, he didn't like that. Only in public, where people could hear them. MASTER! The king's sent somebody after you I think he's an assassin! The words all jumbled together as he sent them through their psychic line. But not wanting to look suspicious, Rip slowly rose up from where he was checking on Mik. He was still breathing. He only hoped that somebody would find him before something more happened to him... and the longer he stayed here beside him... Rip would only cause pain.

"The bus," he said again, marching toward it, expressionless even though inside, he felt just like the storm around them. "It'll take us there."

• Add a personal text!
  • Bishop
  • 37 posts
  • 6'1
"The human. Is unnecessary."

Pax looked dispassionately down at the writhing human. He had no feelings either way towards him. Mik, as Ripper called him. Their business simply didn't involve him and when he refused to back down, Pax took him out. He didn't kill the human because that was also unnecessary, but he incapacitated him long enough that he would not become a liability or a hindrance.

Ripper saw fit to obey him, which was wise. Pax followed him down the slight hill towards the bus stop without a second glance over his shoulder. He vaguely heard a woman's cry behind him, indicating that someone had come outside and had found the human. He would be fine within the hour. Perhaps. That was no longer Pax's concern; the King wished to find Keith and interrogate him.

"Keith will transfer ownership of you to me." Pax's tone was even and matter-of-fact. "You will become my golem, and I will assign you to a new task. My name is Paxton Ames. I am the Second Golem General of the Kingdom of the Fallen. You may refer to me as Pax, for the time that we are in this realm."

• Rook
  • 237 posts
  • ??
  • 6'2"
It took everything inside Rip to not look back. If Shelby didn't like him before, she must really hate his guts now... But this was for the best. Rip knew, deep down, that Mik was never for him. No human ever would be. Nobody else in the world, in fact, except Keith, because that was why he was made, of course...

He tried not to think about it. About the kiss and the kitten and the goldfish and the promised photographs. But it panged hard in his chest and he was glad that it was raining because the pang was making him emotional. Something he was not supposed to be. He was supposed to be more like the Keith golem or this golem. But the soul particle inside of him was too shiny and soft.

"I hear you, Pax."

Keith told him to say that when he spoke to him; he hated it when he said something to him and he didn't say anything back, like he understood or yes sir or I hear you. Something like that. Meanwhile, he was desperately throwing more messages down the psychic pipeline. DO YOU HEAR ME? MASTER? Radio silence. Rip stood at the bus stop when they arrived, perfectly still, but feeling horrified and confused.

What would he do in the possession of another golem? Was that even possible? He'd never heard of it before; a golem owning a golem. Was he not a golem? But he said that he was. He had a title and everything. Rip didn't look at him. Keith didn't like him looking directly at him unless he forced him to do so. For some reason, Keith liked it better that way, when he wouldn't look at him unless he told him to.

I heard you, stop fucking screaming into my head, Keith finally snarled back. Rip closed his eyes in relief. Fuck. Finally. Despite everything, he felt relief in not having to think, in just taking his orders.

So what do I do, Master? He wants me to take him to you.

Well fucking don't.

Rip edged a very slow, very wary side eye at Pax.

He says he's taking me and assigning me a new task, Master.

The FUCK he is. Who the fuck is he? Let me see. Look at him.

Rip again slowly looked in Pax's direction, to which a string of curses were released. Then, You know where I am.

And then it was silence again. Rip didn't know what that meant but when he asked, Keith didn't answer until the bus showed up and stopped in front of them in a rush of belching and hissing. Bring him here. Rip nodded slightly. Then he stepped onto the bus and deposited the money--he'd learned how to use a bus by now. He glanced at Pax, not sure if he knew how to use the bus or not. Assuming not, he paid his fare too, then found a seat in the back, squeezing himself next to the window with a sinking feeling.

Recent Topics

Cbox

Affiliates

RPG Rating 3 3 3 RPG-D