Friends of cats

Started by Mikko Ashby, Mar 01, 2020, 11:45 AM

• He's like a less cute version of you but he'll have to do He's like a Wal-Mart version of you but he'll have to do He'll have to do
  • Rook
  • 237 posts
  • So now, he's next to me But I can feel you in my heart
  • ??
  • 6'2"
"Yes, sir."

That was exactly what happened. He just... didn't explain his own part in it. How was he supposed to know that this prince was so strong? He'd never seen anything like it. Not even Prince Rhys was this strong and he'd seen him in actual battles before. There was power in this young prince that the young prince didn't even know. Oh, Rip hoped that he had real help out there, that somebody would be able to help him control his magic because... otherwise...

Rip was still waiting for the hammer to fall, though. Pax wasn't an idiot and he was also the King's golem. He was going to see straight through Rip in an instant and he was going to decide he wasn't worth keeping around anymore. At least with Keith, he had some kind of job security. It wasn't much but it was enough to know he wasn't about to be deactivated over a mistake.

But this was so much worse than a mistake. This... was insubordination.

• Add a personal text!
  • Bishop
  • 37 posts
  • 6'1
No, Pax was no idiot. He was nothing like an idiot, and it was fairly straight-forward to piece together what had happened. The prince escaped with some help from Ripper. How much help he gave was unknown at this point--if he did at all--but he had let the young man go without much of a struggle, it appeared. The young prince hadn't subdued him, obviously, as he was still standing. Power that strong would have destroyed Ripper if it had been turned onto him.

Pax was, however, rather relieved that Ripper remained intact. He required Ripper's services more than he required the young prince to be in their possession. Besides which, now that the King had placed his energy stamp upon his son, it wouldn't be difficult to trace him and find him again. It was going to be a while before the corruption sank in, anyway--they had time.

Now... to the issue at hand, which was Ripper's complicity in this mishap. Pax had no intention of eliminating him. It was perhaps even prudent to stay back when powerful magic was being used--a... self-preservation instinct kicking in, if you will. He made a low sound, a thoughtful sound. "Next time, you will inform me if something like this happens, so that I can deal with it in a timely manner. We will be able to find the prince again. It's fortunate that he didn't turn his powers onto you."

Next time, however, he wouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt.

Ripper held the only known shard belonging to the first prince--Jack Ripley. Pax already had something of an idea as to how to salvage this particular bumble by Keith. If they couldn't have the real Jack... perhaps they could grow this one. This soul could still be used. As long as they cultivated it to the appropriate amount inside of Ripper, perhaps they could extract the other one and plant this one in its stead. It would be a delicate task, but he imagined that someone skilled in soul weaving could do it--not himself, but an expert.

"Ripper, I have a new job for you." Pax moved past him to sit on the couch, tired from his ordeal with the damned plant. He had finally overcome the strong magic woven into it; now it sat back in its original pot on the windowsill, as if nothing happened. But that room was destroyed. Completely destroyed. Lightly crossing one leg over the other, he studied Ripper. "You will seek out the fae Prince, Brayden Smith. We need to find out how much power he has, and what manner of allies are with him at this time. I believe he is dangerous to the King's plans."

• He's like a less cute version of you but he'll have to do He's like a Wal-Mart version of you but he'll have to do He'll have to do
  • Rook
  • 237 posts
  • ??
  • 6'2"
"...yes sir." And now... like that, he was bound to that duty. Rip still did not look up. Although Pax didn't sound at all like he did when he spoke to Keith, there was still the fear of the unknown. What little he had seen of Pax so far was not merciful. He hurt Mik and he hurt Keith. It was only a matter of time before he did the same to Rip. But it would only be physical. If he had to be lashed, he could take it. He was used to taking that kind of abuse. What he wasn't used to was this. The new dynamic, the new master, the new rules, the new punishments. He had learned how to navigate Keith fairly well. Pax... scared him.

Oh, he closed his eyes and waited for it. But Pax walked past him, speaking of a new job. After a few seconds, Rip opened his eyes and dared to look up, to see that Pax was casually taking a seat on the couch. Like a good little soldier, Rip placed his hands behind his back.

Seek out the fae Prince... Brayden Smith? He tried not to betray his confusion on his face. Why...? But he daren't ask. Pax might look casual right now but he was as casual as a tiger after a meal. Still dangerous.

"Yes, sir." He didn't yet move, though. Brayden Smith? Where did he begin in locating him, when the others hadn't? Keith couldn't even find him and he absolutely loathed him and wanted to wrap his hands around his throat. Now Keith was dismissed and Rhys and Raphael was mysteriously gone. It was just Rip.

But as he stood there, he did have... a spark of an idea. Allie knew Jack. And Jack knew Brayden Smith. And Allie... still thought Rip was Jack.

"Yes sir," he said again. "I will begin my new job now." He started to leave, but he stopped at the doorway, pausing to turn back toward Pax. "Do you have a preference in how I report back to you?"

• Add a personal text!
  • Bishop
  • 37 posts
  • 6'1
"Very good. Take care that they don't discover your identity. If at any time you feel that you are in danger, return to me immediately, regardless of the progress of the job."

He trusted that Ripper would know how to go about finding Brayden Smith. After all, he was an exact copy of Jack Ripley, with his appearance and memories--that gave him a distinct advantage. An enterprising golem such as Ripper would undoubtedly be allowed access into places and groups that someone such as Keith or even Pax couldn't infiltrate.

As to the question of reporting... "A mind link may be dangerous. They can eavesdrop. A phone would be preferable. If you don't have one, you may purchase one." The humans' major means of communication was useful here. Unlike magic, a phone could not be tapped into easily, and conversations held would be fairly private. Pax, unlike some of the others, didn't scorn all human inventions. Those that were useful could be adopted to further the King's agenda here.

• Rook
  • 237 posts
  • ??
  • 6'2"
"I will."

He didn't have any other choice. But he knew he had to say something to acknowledge that he'd heard Pax. Just because he wasn't Keith didn't mean that wasn't still logged into his brain. There was still room for punishment if he didn't defer to his superiors properly.

But... that did not stop him from smiling that tiny, sly little smile of his as he turned away from Pax. A phone. Just... what... he'd hoped for. Feeling quite proud of himself for not even having to go around anybody's back for it, he stood a little straighter as he left, carefully closing the door behind him and heading back out to a familiar bus stop.

He knew just where to go...

Recent Topics

Cbox

Affiliates

RPG Rating 3 3 3 RPG-D