Do you feel lucky?

Started by Lucky, Jan 15, 2020, 07:07 PM

Hana Choi

The man's words were of a topic so unexpected, that at first they hardly sounded like English. Her eyes wandered as she tried to make it out and re-order the sounds that had sloppily entered her brain in some disorganized fashion. He was talking to her as if he knew her, yet she had zilch of a clue who he was. She bit the inside of her lip, forcing herself into focus and to look at him once more. Her door inched just a little more closed behind her as her confusion brought on a touch of discomfort.

Hana's hand dropped to hold down her skirt as a breeze blew through and threatened to make her wardrobe more inappropriate for the present situation.

"My private... what?" Her voice softened, not wanting to sound cold, but also not wanting to lead this man on that he was talking to the person he thought. It clearly wasn't meant for her.

Was this guy some kind of performer? She was her fair share of naive, but even Hana could see the appeal in his features that screamed something much more than your average street performer. However, she was not one to judge. He could be some sort of instrumentalist! But,... he had no instrument. A singer? Who had private shows for singers? Unless he was meant for some kind of party. Like a bachelorette party - though, those usually hired strip....pers....

Hana's cheeks flared pink at the thought and she stared at him sheepishly. He either had the wrong apartment, or she was being pranked.

"I-I... What?" she stammered, half laughing in spite of herself.

• Always DTF
  • Rook
  • 414 posts
  • Butts
  • 6'1
"Show. Show?" Sean peered down at her, his smile turning a little bemused. Ohh--maybe she didn't recognize him. Yeah sometimes that happened. The club was awash in garish lighting; the dancers wore makeup to accent their skimpy outfits as well so here in broad daylight, sans warpaint, Sean might look quite different than he did at the club. Plus he was wearing normal clothes and wasn't parading around in essentially his underwear.

The grin hitched back on, bright as ever. "It's me, Sean Yun. We talked on the phone last night, remember? You booked me for a private session?"

Behind the girl, he saw a streak of white making its way across the room. Sean's brows furrowed as he tracked the cat under a couch. An eerie glowing pair of eyes stared out at him--it gave him the creeps. "Hey... is that cat yours? The white one?" He pointed to the couch.

Hana Choi

Private show... With that body.. It couldn't be... But, she was very certain it was. Hana's pink cheeks deepened a shade and her mind raced for reasons why this awkward situation had been thrust upon her. It had to be a prank. She had friends in college were pretty obsessed with that sort of scene, but they didn't even know where she lived. Could Logan have done this? No... she was still pretty certain he had hit on her himself. This would be the strangest way to flirt she had ever heard of. Then, he mentioned talking on the phone. If he was talking to a woman, it couldn't have possibly been Logan.

"I didn't -" her speech drawled off as he turned her attention back inside her apartment. She turned her head briefly to look at the cat hiding beneath her couch. The poor thing was clearly uncomfortable with the situation, so to give him a sense of safety, she scooted forward and shut the door behind her.

"No, I actually just found him on my way out. He was hungry, so..." Her golden eyes peered at him with all the nervousness and apprehension of a girl on her first date.

"Do you happen to know who he belongs to? It would mean a lot to me to make sure his owner knows he's safe." She smiled with a pleading look in her eyes. Hopeful naive Hana prayed mentally that pressing the topic of the cat could let her off the hook of whatever transaction he was expecting. The name 'Sean Yun' absolutely rang bells deep in the recess of her memory, but her focus was leagues from being able to process it at the moment.

• Always DTF
  • Rook
  • 414 posts
  • Butts
  • 6'1
Yeah she did, she probably didn't expect him to look this good in person. Haha... Sean was sticking with that story since he wasn't corrected and the girl was blushing now, unable to say... much. About the appointment. She had plenty to say about the cat though, once conversation turned to it. That wasn't weird. What was weird was the fact that she scooted out of her apartment and shut the door behind her.

That sorta just shuffled her closer to Sean, who hadn't moved back from the doorway, putting them in close proximity. Okay. Sean still didn't move back, though. She got into his personal space—where she was more than welcomed to stay, by the way—so he didn't feel like some kind of creep trying to edge up to a pretty girl.

"I think he lives on the other side of town. And I swear he stalks me. Every time I come here to visit my buddy, he's here." He lowered his voice slightly as he leaned in, as if sharing a secret with her. What did she say her name was again? He asked over the phone... and promptly forgot. Janet? Rita? Joy? Sean could've sworn it started with a J.

"I think he's got it out for me. That cat's evil. You better be careful... Jane?" God he hoped that was her name...

Hana Choi

Hana had moved forward and shut the door behind her with only the cat's interest in mind. Not for a moment had she considered this stranger would hold his ground. Consequently, she was placed between a rock and a hard place. This did not help her discomfort one bit. She might have thought it rude, but considering the occupation she was suspecting he possessed she could hardly blame him. The fault was all hers for encroaching the space of such an individual. He had to be used to it, but with much different intentions.

Having nowhere to go - again, a fault of her own - she remained and let the conversation to continue to be about the cat. She was relieved to hear he had some idea of it's home, but disappointed it was so far. Then again, he confirmed her suspicion that it wasn't the kitty's first time here.

Jane, he called her. What a generic name. She'd laugh if he wasn't so close.

"Is that a code name? Am I supposed to be Jane?"

Hana pressed a hand against his chest to give her space, encouraged to swallow the awkwardness that crept up her throat by clinging to a shred of humor of the moment.

"Is my last name Doe as well?"

• Always DTF
  • Rook
  • 414 posts
  • Butts
  • 6'1
"No?" Shit, she wasn't Jane. Sean wracked his brain for a name. He swore she told him; it was in his phone but he didn't want to come off as a jerk, forgetting the name of a client. When she finally felt awkward enough to push him back, he stepped away as bidden with a quirk of the lips. Took her long enough. Sean wasn't uncomfortable with people getting into his personal space but it amused him that she was. "I don't know. Is your last name Doe?"

Yeah, yeah, he got the joke--Jane Doe. Anonymous female. With a sigh and a shake of his head at the corny joke (but it was funny corny, so he gave her a pass on that one), he finally brought out his phone and scrolled through his messages. "Ah. Allison."

That. Was nowhere near a name starting with a J. It didn't, in fact, even contain a J. "Sorry. Allison, right?" Come on he had the messages right there, was she going to claim that she wasn't Allison? The address was right, too, and the apartment number. Sean turned the phone around to show her the series of messages, the one where she introduced herself and the other one with the address on it. (And the rest, very flirtatious, ordering a stripper for a show over to her place the next day.)

"So... are we still on or...?"

Hana Choi

Hana was further relieved that the man - was it Sean? - took her hint and stepped back. Her hand fell behind her, taking grasp of the door handle in preparation to duck out at any moment.

One might have wondered why Hana did not just shut him down and go back inside, but she was far too kind for that. Foolishly so, some might say. She was frequently caught in markets buying things she did not want or need all in the name of being nice.

That being said, she simply made a a bemused look at his question and watched as he scrolled on his phone.  Her wondering if what he was doing was promptly answered and she laughed aloud.

He turned the screen her way and let her read. She would laugh again if it weren't for the spicy messages that followed her not-name and her actual address. So, he had texted this person, not spoken on the phone. The chances that this was a prank increased, but the messages that followed returned the blush to her cheeks.

But, wait a minute. This young man - probably no older than her - was following directions from complete strangers and going into their homes? That did not seem in any way a safe practice. She was generally a very trusting person, but even she had to admit there were dangers in the world. Her discomfort turned amusement now turned toward concern for him.

"So..." Her eyes flickered from the phone to searching his eyes. "Do you always trust texts from strangers? This one brought you to the wrong apartment, who knows what kind of person could have answered the door?"

She pressed a friendly smile into the corners of her mouth. "You have a confidence I've never known, Mr. Yun."

• Always DTF
  • Rook
  • 414 posts
  • Butts
  • 6'1
Hm. Allison was blushing awfully hard for somebody who blatantly flirted with him over the phone and shoved a hundred dollar bill down the front of his underwear. Not even the back—the front. He didn't remember seeing her that night but in the thrill of the moment, with adrenaline and far too much caffeine in his system, it wasn't always easy to remember every single face. He remembered hundred dollar bills though.

"Wait, wrong apartment?" He got the other stuff but look: he was a big, strong man. Very big, very tall, very strong and very capable of taking care of himself. He wasn't a wisp of a girl who looked like she wouldn't be a hundred pounds soaking wet. The chances of something happening to Sean? Slim to none. Not unless he was drugged or shot point-blank or something.

"Sean." Mister Yun was a name he reserved for older folks or serious occasions. Sean was a much friendlier approach to dealing with this... wrong address business. Did the real Allison mistype? Maybe she did. A number off here, a letter off there and he could've ended up at the home of an innocent girl with no idea what to do with a male stripper.

His grin didn't fade, though. It took more than a little mix-up like this to get his confidence to waver. "I'm a big boy," he said carelessly, with a light laugh. "I can take care of myself, sweetheart. But uh. You're sure this is the wrong address? And your name's not Allison?"

Hana Choi

As strange as this entire situation was and as uncomfortable Hana might be being mistaken as this Allison person, she had to say it all was quite amusing from an outside perspective. Stepping out of her body would have her rolling on the floor in an uncontrollable fit of laughter. What are the chances that of all apartments for something like this to happen to, it's the one belonging to someone who had hardly lived in it for a week?

He was so confident, held his ground even when she had encroached upon his personal space, and kept on trusting that she was the person he was looking for. Meanwhile, she had been a stammering idiot unsure of how to handle such a scenario. Even so, he continued to smile and address her politely. He did not seem to think her comment about stranger's homes to be in the least concerning, so she imagined he had that hazard quite under control.

Her gaze remained locked on him as she slowly nodded her head that he had the wrong apartment. He seemed to chew on that thought, but still managed to maintain a smile – a handsome one, she would add. He probably did well for himself in this occupation... Her nerves were feeling less frazzled by every moment that passed. He was figuring it out, despite her idiocy, and she was finding details about him to distract herself.

"Well..." She glanced over her shoulder at the number painted beside her door. Then, she turned a bright smile his way. "I'm sure, at least, that my name is Hana. But, I cannot promise you someone did not send you here on purpose, though I doubt it."

She leaned to her left, as if to reveal her door. "Do you... want to come in for a moment while you call them?" Her offer was well intended, but not all good intentions were good ideas. The cat he considered 'evil' was still inside – or so she thought and hoped.

• Always DTF
  • Rook
  • 414 posts
  • Butts
  • 6'1
"Oh Hana." Hey that was a pretty name, kind of like a flower, or flowery-sounding, evoking an image of something light and pure and soft. Sean grinned and winked--so fast that blink and you'd miss it. "Too bad it's not Allison." He wouldn't have minded putting on a show for a pretty girl like her. Buuut shit happened, and it was up to them to roll with it. That was Sean's philosophy in life, pretty much. He could have gotten upset and he could have cursed the real Allison for sending him all the way out here on a fool's errand but he was far too laid back for that. Sean didn't get angry; he got a drink and got over it.

And at least she seemed less awkward now, which was a good thing! He was starting to think that he was freaking her out just by standing there. As she eased back, he thought over his options. Hm. He could call up the original girl, Allison, and ask her what her actual address was. Funny that in a small town, stuff like this could still happen. They didn't even have that many street names, for God's sake!

"Actually yeah, that'd be great. I tried calling her earlier to let her know I was going to be late, but she didn't pick up. Maybe this time she'll be there." He paused, looked at the closed door. The cat was inside. Hm. Sean wasn't scared of a confrontation, it wasn't that, but he didn't want Hana to see him throttling a cat bare-handed. It sort of ruined his image as a cool guy.

"And uh. Yeah. After you, Hana."

Look.

Listen.

He wasn't using her as a human shield, but he was definitely using her as a human shield.

Hana Choi

Was this a bad idea? As soon as the offer rolled off her lips, Hana's thoughts raced to consider the kitty lurking within. She was not sure if it was more frightened of a knock at the door in general or if it had to do with the person doing the knocking. Sean must have done something to spook the poor thing, because in her mind no animal was evil. They simply did not have the cognitive capabilities that humans did. Humans... If she was even to be considered that.

Whether she worried for the feline or not, she was not the type of person that would make him stand outside to make his phone calls. She was raised to be far more welcoming than that. At least, with the issue of her being a customer for... no no no, let's not go down that thought path. This was the right thing to do and she was not going to take it back.

Upon his consent, Hana refreshed her smile, turned the handle behind her back, and slowly gave it a gentle push without turning around yet. He was still talking about calling the Allison person and she did not want to cut him off as if what he had to say was unimportant.

After her, he said. So, she turned and left the door open for him. Completely oblivious of how nervous he might have been feeling, she almost immediately bent over and started peering under things and around corners. The sweet ball of floof was no longer in the box beside which the remnants of chicken wings lay strewn about an open to-go box from Chik-Qwik.

Her apartment may have been made messy with boxes a bit of packing materials here and there, but for the most part it was steadily becoming a tidy assortment and display of her personality. Brightly colored frames, pictures of friends and family, statuettes, paintings, and books collected through years and years of effort. Beside her heavily stocked bookshelf, there hung four photos in teal frames. Each was of a slightly different make up of friends from her high school days and different scenarios. In one, she was a part of a library selfie held by the leader of their old book club. Two were of her usual gang of girl-friends inside homes – slumber parties perhaps. The last was a timely shot of Hana mid-air after being shoved into a pool. The laughing teenagers around her were also from the school, but none of the same people in the previous three photos.

"Maybe she just typed the number wrong," Hana wondered aloud. The search continued. Her long hair tapped the ground as she leaned over to look under the couch. "I could ask my neighbor if he knows someone named Allison..."

• Always DTF
  • Rook
  • 414 posts
  • Butts
  • 6'1
"Yeah that's what I was thinking," Sean said as he entered the apartment cautiously, eyes flicking left and right for signs of flying white furballs. Nothing so far. Good! Maybe it had given up on its mad scheme to bump off Sean. Maybe it decided that it didn't want an innocent man's blood on its snowy white paws!

That was a lot of credit to give to a cat but Sean knew things. He knew about the weirdos that lived in Hazleton--had to, really, since he grew up here surrounded by them. Nobody acknowledged them, no one exposed them, but they were there all right. So it wasn't a stretch to think that this dumb cat could be one of them too.

Not wanting to be snoopy, he kept his eyes straight ahead and didn't look around too much. Hana was... looking for something apparently. Ah. The cat? Sean hung back near the door. "Just moved in, huh?" he remarked conversationally, because it was impossible to miss all the moving boxes. "And nah, I just need like a phone book or something. You don't have to go to all that trouble to ask neighbors, it's not really a big deal." His eyes twinkled slightly. "Besides, some of them might be regulars at the club, and then it'd be awkward, you know?"

Hana Choi

Where could he have gone? The window was left open. Maybe he made his escape? Or, he could have ducked off into her bedroom. As disappointing as it may be to not feast her eyes on the pillowy snow-white kitty, she was happy she had at least gotten a moment to share treats with him. She had confidence he would be around again. At least... she hope Sean's presence this one time did not scare it off for good.

Checking one last place, behind the entertainment center, Hana nodded in answer to Sean's question regarding moving. He had not moved from the doorway. A pang of guilt struck through her. Had she not invited him in properly? Or, was he frightened of the cat?

Hana winced at the mention of a phone book. Regretfully, she did not have one. She was not even sure if they even made those any more. She remembered standing on piles of them as a kid to get to cabinets she wasn't meant to be in, but had no memory of actually using one.

She was about to admit that lacking when he mentioned 'the club'. She only knew of one club. What a small world it would be if it was one and the same and her old-friend-neighbor was already acquainted, or friends even, with the handsome stranger. But, wait... If Sean's occupation was what she thought it was... and he worked at the same club as Logan...

Nah. It couldn't ...

Hana's cogs turned, clouding her eyes with the exhaust of effort. Both Logan and this guy were total babes – she had to admit that reality to herself. What kind of club is this?? And, Logan had invited her to come visit. The very thought send blood rushing back to her cheeks.

There's still plenty chances that I'm completely wrong.

"Oh, uh... I don't have a phone book. Please, feel free to come in."

All thoughts of cloud-like kitties were far from her mind now. She had a new mission: Get her wonderings answered without directly asking and making a fool of herself. Her curiosity would likely be the end of her someday.

• Always DTF
  • Rook
  • 414 posts
  • Butts
  • 6'1
Oof. No phone book huh? Sean knew they were going out of style but small towns like these held on to those quirky traditions longer than most. Hazleton was, in some ways, a little behind the times despite their 'modern' amenities. Like strip clubs for women. But if she didn't have one then she didn't have one, more was the pity. Sean could have gone to the library, he supposed, to find a directory of everyone in Hazleton but that required a great deal of effort.

When invited in—fully in—he took one step forward. There, he was 'in.' Sean glanced around with a healthy amount of curiosity, noting the various little knick-knacks that were scattered about. His attention was caught by the photos and he pointed to them. "Hey, those were taken here, weren't they? I recognize that, it's the old high school! Did you grow up here?"

Well, he might as well hang out in here until he could figure out what to do, he supposed. The pay was good for this gig but Sean admittedly didn't want to go out of his way to chase down a couple hundred bucks—not when he could make that much in a night's work. And if Allison really wanted him, she could text or call. He did fire off another text to her earlier, while he was loitering by the door, but she hadn't responded. Maybe it was a prank, he didn't know, and even if it was, he didn't care enough to be upset.

Hana Choi

Incapable of standing there idly while her mind raced through ideas of how to prod the information she sought from him, Hana walked quickly toward the kitchen to grab a glass from the drying rack. With a body left to run on instinct, her deep coded hospitality instructed her to fill him a glass of water while he worked out his dilemma. Meanwhile, she imagined all the ways this stranger might react to her probing questions. She wanted to know more, but she did not want him to think she was creeping in on the life of whatever-exactly-he-might-be. It was just honest ol' killed-the-cat-curiosity.

She reemerged as he was looking at her favorite high school photos by her overcrowded bookshelf. She glanced at them herself when he gestured and a warm smile graced her lips once more. They were very fond memories of all the best friends she had through the longest 4 years of a kid's life. There were plenty of unhappy moments, as anyone experienced, but she preferred to cling to the memories that brought her joy. Book club. Lunch friends. Coworkers from her first job.

"Born, raised, and Hazleton branded," her lively voice chimed. She turned her wrists, looked over her shoulder, and then eyed her legs, pretending to look for some hidden mark that represented the 'hazleton brand.' "Well, maybe it's in my blood. We bleed funny colors here."

"Are you?" First prod. Baby steps. Her golden eyes sparkled with anticipation. The clear glass of water reflected sunlight from the window onto her shirt as she offered it to him. Her free hand curved around her hair to drag it back over her shoulder to act more like a shawl than a curtain shrouding her back.

"You don't look much older than me. I wonder if we were there at the same time."

Recent Topics

Cbox

Affiliates

RPG Rating 3 3 3 RPG-D