Tell me will I be happy?

Started by Neyen Suarez, Mar 29, 2019, 10:22 AM

• Add a personal text!
  • Bishop
  • 185 posts
  • 6'1"
"Wait."

Neyen grasped at the guy urgently, holding him in place for a moment. He might have been a bit squirrely but he knew something. Enough to see some kind of dark aura around Neyen. Enough to warn him about the water. Actually, Neyen wasn't even sure why he grabbed onto him because what else could he possibly ask and would there even be answers? Neyen could ask questions until the breath left his lungs but it was clear that whatever sort of ability his new "friend" had, it was too vague to be of much help.

So after a moment, Neyen released his grip and slowly lowered his hand. His gaze searched the other man's, as if he held the answers in his gaze but he wouldn't even look back at Neyen properly. All Neyen really had of him was his contact info. Hefting his phone, he assured himself he still had it, then nodded.

"Contact me," he said, "if you see anything else."

"Um." Gently and unobtrusively Sorin tried to pull his wrist out from under Neyen's grasp, which probably defeated the purpose of the entire move. He wasn't the type of person who could assertively jerk their hand away and say in no uncertain terms that he was not to be touched again. Sorin went through life like a shadow, hoping and praying not to be noticed.

That made Neyen's scrutiny all the more uncomfortable for him. He couldn't look him in the eyes. Neyen appeared fierce and determined and strong, all things that Sorin sadly was not. He shuffled back a step awkwardly with his wrist still held in Neyen's grasp, feeling (and probably looking) caged. His brother called him again, sounding even more impatient, and Sorin gave a stronger tug of his own arm.

"I w--" he began to say, but stopped just short. It didn't really work like that. He didn't see things in the dark of night or whenever he closed his eyes. There had to be a person nearby, someone with an aura for him to notice. Explaining all of that seemed like it would only make Neyen more curious, however, and Sorin didn't want to be grabbed again, so he took a step back. "I will." On the off-chance he did see something, Neyen would be the first to know. Maybe.

"And. Um. Be careful of the water," he repeated gently as something in his chest lurched unpleasantly at the thought of this innocent man meeting his untimely demise. Sorin hastened to turn and walk away, head lowered and eyes on the ground directly in front of him.

• Add a personal text!
  • Bishop
  • 185 posts
  • 6'1"
Would he, though? It was hard to get a real read on a squirrely guy that wouldn't even look him in the eyes when he answered him. Neyen frowned and watched as the man tried to worm away. Probably heeding the call of that guy impatiently calling for him. Sorin. Over and over again, sounding more and more irritated with him as he raised his voice. What a jerk. No wonder Sorin here was so mousy.

"Hey," Neyen said, although this time he didn't grab onto Sorin to make him stop. He didn't know what possessed him to say what he said next. Neyen had a girlfriend and she was beautiful and he was lucky to have her. But over the past few months, Neyen had been struggling with feelings he didn't want to put a name to. Or not so that he didn't want to... rather, he didn't have the time to. There was so much going on that it was something he didn't have time to stop and entertain. But... still, here he was, standing here, watching this totally mousy type attempting to scramble away and he was opening his mouth... to say:

"After your shift. Let's meet up."

"Wot?"

Sorin was shocked, so much so that he almost forgot how to speak English. It sounded like Neyen... Even so briefly entertaining the thought made Sorin feel ridiculous. Ludicrous. Neyen was likely still curious about that ancients thing he referenced earlier, and the fact that Sorin without prompting began to babble on and on about a black aura and a dark fate.

Slowly he turned around. "I've told you everything I could. I'm sorry, I don't know any more about these... ancients. If I think of something, I'll be sure to let you know."

He smiled, a slow and uneasy, regretful smile. How stupid was he, to even think that Neyen meant anything else? No one needed Sorin; they saw him as an accessory or something unnecessary but 'useful,' like a shoe rack or a cup holder. (It didn't mean that he didn't have feelings or that he couldn't have a silly moment and a flight of fancy, though!)

"SORIN!" A slew of rapid, angry Romanian filed through the tent and Sorin's brother's angry face reappeared. He gestured impatiently with one hand. "I need your assistance. Now!"

"I—I'm sorry. Neyen." He hoped he pronounced it correctly. The name was a foreign one but he liked the way it looked and sounded on his tongue. It matched the man; mysterious, foreign, intriguingly unknown. "I'm sorry. I have to go."

• Add a personal text!
  • Bishop
  • 185 posts
  • 6'1"
No, no. It wasn't about the ancients. Rueful as he was that Sorin here didn't have the information he required, he didn't just interact with people because of what they could give him. At least, he hoped he didn't. Neyen had been told he could be impulsive and quite selfish, yes. But it was hardly the epitome of selfishness to ask somebody out on a date. However they met didn't matter. Sorin was attractive and maybe a bit mousy but he intrigued that part of Neyen that he had been working hard to ignore. Maybe it was time to stop ignoring it.

Neyen made a face in the direction of the angry fake medium and then rolled his eyes.

"Seems like he's got you on a tight leash," he said, not to disparage Sorin but rather the one doing the shouting. The guy was practically apoplectic over Sorin not immediately hopping to his shouts. What a jerk.

"Anyway, meet me. It's not about the ancients, all right? Just say you'll be there."

A tight leash sounded about right and Neyen, amusingly, wasn't the first person to have said that. Sorin heard that a lot, usually from people gossiping behind his back. It was as if he was invisible; he could be sitting in plain sight and people would overlook him, speaking about him and his family in tones loud enough to be overheard. He didn't eavesdrop; sometimes he happened to be right there when they talked.

At any rate, he smiled ruefully at Neyen's wry face and eyeroll and didn't deny it, only shrugging resignedly. That was the way things were and had been since the beginning. At least he was accustomed to his brother's shouting and gesticulating. This--Neyen's insistence on meeting him later--he was not used to. Sorin would have been crazy to say that he didn't want to know more about Neyen; about his aura, about the ancients and also simply about him as a person.

"All right," he said hastily, fearing that his brother would come stomping over. "I'll meet you." Whatever it was that Neyen wanted, he would have to find out later. And maybe he might have another premonition or vision or... something that could help keep him safe. Sorin half-turned to leave again; his gaze dwelt lingeringly on Neyen. "See--see you later."

Recent Topics

Cbox

Affiliates

RPG Rating 3 3 3 RPG-D