52 Books in 52 Weeks

Started by Apricity at Apr 01, 2021 2:23 PM
59 Posts

"This is my life you're playing with now til the end of the night~"

AKA Hazbin Trash
37Age
-Height
3111 Posts

A book worthy of an award. I went into this book fairly confused about what the premise was. I mean the only criteria was that it had to have won an award. 

Neal Shusterman is damn good at what he does. This book made me cry, for real. 

So it turns out that it’s the story of a teenage boy dealing with the onset of schizophrenia and his subsequent hospitalization. It could have been terrible but it was so so good. Neal really seems to understand and it makes sense because at the end of the book, there is a note saying that this book is not entirely fiction. It’s based on what his own son went through after his diagnosis with schizophrenia. 

There are just some profoundly sad passages or quotes that caught me off guard, because I’ve felt the same way and I thought damn. This is a really honest portrayal of mental illness. 

Anyway it was really good. 

next is devoted by dean koontz so we’re leaning into trash tier again. Lol

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
Helluva Binch
34Age
-Height
3050 Posts

This is why people should write from experience. They can handle the subject matter way more sensitively. I'm glad it was a good read! 

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

AKA Hazbin Trash
37Age
-Height
3111 Posts

Just finished the Dean Koontz novel. It was eh okay. Not amazing. Had some cringeworthy moments, like the main bad guy biting off some chick’s boobs. Yikes. 

Next is a book with a woman facing away from the cover. Lmao. Or a woman’s back to the cover. I found this book called Anxious People. Oh man. Hope it doesn’t make ME anxious. Lmao 🤣 

0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0

AKA Hazbin Trash
37Age
-Height
3111 Posts

Finally finished Anxious People. It was actually pretty good. It was about a failed bank robber escaping and accidentally taking a group of people viewing an apartment hostage. 😂 What a premise. But it had a lot of heart and soul and I enjoyed the style. 

0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
Helluva Binch
34Age
-Height
3050 Posts

Accidentally taking them hostage LOL Whoops got locked up with all these hostages! 😂

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

AKA Hazbin Trash
37Age
-Height
3111 Posts

Snow, Glass, Apples by Neil Gaiman was VERY SHORT but it was an adult graphic novel retelling of Snow White. In it, Snow White is an evil vampire and the story is told by the queen/stepmother. 

on that note, the next book is a book with a shoe on the cover, which turned out to be…… Stepsister. A retelling of Cinderella told from the perspective of a stepsister. 😂 

So close to finishing this challenge! Three books in three days?! Can I do it?! Maybe if I start on the next one now. Ahhhhh! 

They already have the challenge for 2022 up but I thiiiiink I’m gonna skip it. Whew. 

1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Helluva Binch
34Age
-Height
3050 Posts

AKA Hazbin Trash
37Age
-Height
3111 Posts

Well, with three more books left on the list unread, (haven't even started Stepsister), I failed. But! It was... an interesting challenge and one I will not be repeating for 2022. I'll keep this topic open to talk about books we read in general, though. :D

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Helluva Binch
34Age
-Height
3050 Posts

I count that giant Lovecraft one 3 books. LOL Cause it took 3 books' worth of time to read it all!

And it's okay, honestly I think this challenge was just to get you to expand your reading list. But you just realized that a lot of books are shitty. Haha! Plus some books seemed like obvious shills, so I question the intent behind this whole thing by whomever made it up.

Anyway, yes! Keep this open as a discussion for anything interesting you read! <33 I enjoyed the ups and downs of this challenge though, and it's kind of nice seeing all the ones you did get through! 

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1